Student a cappella group releases single off upcoming album

<p>Members of acapella group Spartan Sur warm up before on Oct. 26, 2014, in the basement of Synder-Phillips hall. Each week every individual is given a solo assignment to work on and preform in the next practice. Jessalyn Tamez/The State News</p>

Members of acapella group Spartan Sur warm up before on Oct. 26, 2014, in the basement of Synder-Phillips hall. Each week every individual is given a solo assignment to work on and preform in the next practice. Jessalyn Tamez/The State News

Photo by Jessalyn Tamez | The State News

Last night, student a capella group Spartan Sur released a single off of their first album, “Surround Sound.”

The single is an a capella mash-up cover of Katy Perry's "Teenage Dream" and Tiësto's "Red Lights."

Spartan Sur had long wanted to put together an album, group member and neuroscience junior Bhavya Thamman said. And this year the group finally had the funds and popularity to make that dream a reality.

“All of (our hard work) has culminated to having us be able to reach that milestone finally this year, which is really exciting for us,” she said. “It really validates you as a group so it feels great.”

Thamman said there are eight songs on the album, and nearly all of them are mash-ups between South Asian songs and American songs. They range in genre from upbeat club music to heartfelt ballads, so there’s something for everyone, she said.

The album, a product of three months hard work, Thamman said, is expected to be released within two to three weeks and can be pre-ordered here.

Share and discuss “Student a cappella group releases single off upcoming album” on social media.