Monday, March 18, 2024

Dantonio ranked No. 3 coach in nation by Sporting News

<p>Head coach Mark Dantonio talks to the team after the Green and White Spring game April 25, 2015, at Spartan Stadium. The white team defeated the green team, 9-3. Hannah Levy/The State News</p>

Head coach Mark Dantonio talks to the team after the Green and White Spring game April 25, 2015, at Spartan Stadium. The white team defeated the green team, 9-3. Hannah Levy/The State News

Photo by Hannah Levy | The State News

MSU head football coach Mark Dantonio has been ranked the No. 3 coach in college football, according to The Sporting News' new rankings, which included all 128 FBS football coaches across the country.

Dantonio moved up six spots from last year's rankings, but still sits behind No. 1 Urban Meyer of Ohio State and No. 2 Nick Saban of Alabama.

It's been a big five years for Dantonio's program, which has brought the Spartans to a 53-14 record during that time span. The last half decade has also included two Big Ten Championships, four consecutive bowl victories, which includes the 2014 Rose Bowl and the 2015 Cotton Bowl.

Dantonio's job won't get any easier, however, with the new Michigan head football coach Jim Harbaugh's arrival to the Big Ten. Harbaugh comes in at sixth in this year's rankings after coaching the NFL's San Francisco 49ers for the last four years.

Share and discuss “Dantonio ranked No. 3 coach in nation by Sporting News” on social media.