LETTER: Find your own way to relax during finals week

Finals week is nearly here and stress levels are at an all-time high.

With summer around the corner and your GPA on the line, just saying the word “finals” can raise your blood pressure. Finding ways to manage stress can be easy and remain an important factor for staying healthy.

Junk food snacking, binge drinking of over-caffeinated drinks and sleepless nights spent in the library are the norm for students at most universities. However, there are some ways to lighten your load and keep you focused during the final stretch before summer vacation.

Keep your body moving: take a walk for a break or an hour of cardio at the gym. Your body can release feel-good endorphins that can boost your mood and calm your racing mind.

Finding time to work up a sweat before a long study session can clear your head before hitting the books. What you eat during the day is also a very critical factor of how productive your day can turn out.

Roll your eyes if you like, but the old saying “Breakfast is the most important meal of the day” is true. Having breakfast with whole grains, healthy fats and fruits can kick start your metabolism and raise your blood sugar, which is necessary to make the memory-boosting neurotransmitter acetylcholine. Having a wholesome meal will keep you focused longer and hold you over until your next meal.

A protein-packed meal in the morning can jumpstart your energy and keep you full and satisfied throughout the day. Living on campus gives students so many delicious and healthy options in the dining halls.

Nutrient-dense foods are important for all meals, not just breakfast. If your body is receiving all the necessary macrobiotics there will be little to no urge to snack or binge eat. Try to avoid caffeine: although we have all fallen victims of our dependency of the cup full of energy.

The amount of caffeine in sugar-filled energy drinks and venti cups of coffee interferes with sleep. Getting a sufficient amount of sleep will leave you well rested and energized.

The human brain can only absorb so much information at a time while cramming. Students need to give their bodies and minds time to reboot and absorb the information. A 25-minute nap could be the quick boost that you need to focus.

Studies show listening to music while studying can help focus. Contrary to popular belief, not all students are successful in a quiet environment. Listening to classical works by Bach, Brahms, Mozart and others are effective sleep aids that reduce stress, and in turn, act as a study tool.

Classical instrumental music helps you relax even when you don’t pay attention to the music. There is evidence that Mozart improves mental performance. They call it the “Mozart Effect.”

We can all agree final exams leave students feeling overwhelmed, anxious and hyper. Taking these steps in reducing stress and staying healthy during finals week can improve your test scores and your health.

Ending the year off healthy and happy is the way we all want to start the summer.

Natalie Amboyan is a neuroscience sophomore. She can be reached at natalieamboyan@gmail.com 

Share and discuss “LETTER: Find your own way to relax during finals week” on social media.