Need a place to study for finals? Check out these favorites

Between 556 different buildings on MSU’s campus, each student is looking for the perfect space, away from the hustle and bustle of East Lansing, to prepare for finals week.

While some students work best under pressure, pulling all-nighters the day before the final exam, others use the weeks before final exams to their advantage.

Microbiology senior Mohamed Esa said a lot of factors go into his studying, including a quiet setting, speedy computers, a nearby Sparty’s and a safe space.

Esa has spent the last four years at MSU finding his perfect study spot — the Business Library.

Living off campus, Esa said he appreciates the non-committal atmosphere the Business Library offers.

“In the Law Library, you need a pass during finals week,” Esa said. “In the Business Library I can come and go as I please.”

Esa uses the quiet ambiance to his advantage, studying without Facebook or outside websites for up to six hours at a time, taking breaks every hour.

“I strictly study,” Esa said. “I just tell myself that I’ll have time later for Facebook and games. For me, Facebook turns into another website and it spirals down from there.”

The right setting for Esa also includes freedom to leave his backpack and computer unattended.

“I feel more safe here leaving my stuff to go to the bathroom,” Esa said. “I know I can’t do that in the Main Library.”

While Esa prefers to study alone, other students benefit from a study partnership.

Supply chain management senior Dani Xie and supply chain management junior Renee Ji began studying together this semester after noticing that they shared three of their classes.

Studying after class on Tuesdays and Thursdays, the duo also makes a habit of meeting on the weekends in the Eppley Center.

“We like quiet spots,” Xie said. “We tried to study in the Business Library at the group study tables, but it was too much noise from others. We can’t focus on our own job.”

Xie and Ji’s biggest criteria for studying is soft, natural light.

“In Eppley Center there’s a large floor window,” Xie said.

As an international student from China, Xie admits finding the perfect study buddy takes more than just sharing a few classes together. “Being from the same country helped us relate to each other,” she said.

Still not sure which study space is best for you? Take this survey to find out the best place for you to prepare for finals!

Mostly A's — LAW LIBRARY. The perfect atmosphere allows your hardworking and determined personality to get the job done efficiently and effectively. A silent and productive environment fuels you to get this and next week's homework done. You take pride in being called an "overachiever" with a type-A personality. 

Mostly B's — BAR. You need soft, dim lights and a relaxed acoustic playlist to fully relax. You spend a good amount of time with friends and work best with study buddies or on group projects. You're able to adapt easily when unforeseen circumstances don't go as planned and you stay cool under pressure.

Mostly C's — COFFEE SHOP. The smell of coffee wakes you up in the morning. You pay attention to the little details and drink at least four cups of joe a day. On a Saturday morning, you roll out of bed and go straight to a coffee shop where you independently spend on average six hours starting and finishing every homework assignment for the next week. 

Mostly D's — BUBBLE ISLAND. For strict motivation, you treat yourself to your favorite snack, a bubble tea, before and after getting all assignments and studying done. You work best with small breaks, upbeat music and in a large group of friends. You love to try new things and step up to a challenge. 

Share and discuss “Need a place to study for finals? Check out these favorites” on social media.