Solar-powered SmartTable can help you study for finals outside

Sustainable Spartans have brought a solar-powered SmartTable to MSU’s campus, just in time to allow students to enjoy the warm weather while still being able to study for finals.

Co-Founder of SolGreen Solutions Obadiah Hampton said the SmartTable powers electronics through sustainable energy, allowing students to work outside.

International relations sophomore Christina Pastoria said the table is meant to raise awareness about how sustainable technologies can be implemented in a way that affect people’s lives directly.

“I think it’s super useful, because finals are coming up, and it’s getting super nice out, and no one wants to be inside, but at the same time we all need our computers to study and write papers,” Pastoria said, adding the table is a great way to combine the two.

Hampton said his business partner, Matthew Portis, came up with the SmartTable idea while working on his laptop outside and being unable to move inside due to lack of outlets. 

The table can charge almost any electronic device with its four AC outlets and four USB outlets, said environmental studies and agriscience senior Steven Brickel, the vice president of Sustainable Spartans.

Brickel co-founded Sustainable Spartans three years ago, and Pastoria said she joined because she wanted to be constructive and active about bringing conservation practices to MSU’s campus, as opposed to just being an activist for conservation.

Director of Campus Sustainability Ann Erhardt said the table creates an accessible and engaging sustainability project for students. 

“The SolarTable is a demonstration sight to promote sustainability,” Erhardt said, adding the one table could evolve into many if it proves to be well received and useful to students.

Brickel said the table stands as an example to empower students, and show them that they can help change the world through such projects.

“It demonstrates (MSU's) interest and investment in new things,” Erhardt said.

The SmartTable is handicap accessible and won’t be damaged by ice or snow, Brickel said, and is located behind Case Hall.

Brickel said the location is strategic and they wanted to put it in South Campus because new students and incoming freshman come through south, and they hope the SmartTable will create discussion about renewable energy.

Share and discuss “Solar-powered SmartTable can help you study for finals outside” on social media.