White House advisers visit MSU, announce climate change strategy

Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack and Senior White House Advisor Brian Deese announced a plan Thursday afternoon in Kellogg Center to partner with farmers, ranchers and forest land owners to address the threat of climate change.

Vilsack said the plan has three specific goals. First, it recognizes and rewards farmers for doing environmentally friendly things that they're already doing. Only now, with the USDA's new plans, it gives these producers access to resources to improve their efficiency even more.

Secondly, with the plan, the United States Department of Agriculture looks to reduce their overall CO2 emissions by 120 million metric tons per year by 2025. That's essentially doubling the current emission reductions the U.S. has seen recently, Vilsack said. It's also the equivalent of taking 25 million cars off the road, or offsetting the emissions produced by nearly 11 million homes last year.

And lastly, Vilsack said the strategy further positions the United States as global leaders in climate smart agriculture and forestry. It demonstrates to the world that farmers can make money while still being environmentally friendly along the way.

"This is an ambitious but voluntary strategy that rewards ... and builds upon the good work that is already being done by our farmers, ranchers and forest land owners," Vilsack said. "The goal is ambitious but as Brian (Deese) indicated, doable."

The plan involves ten building blocks that includes consideration of soil health, nitrogen stewardship, livestock partnership, conservation of sensitive lands, grazing and pasture lands, private forest growth and retention, stewardship of federal forests, promotion of wood products, urban forests and energy generation and efficiency.

"This announcement today is a very big deal," Deese said. "These announcements the secretary laid out today represent the best of government —creative, innovative and built on partnerships. And by looking to identify best practices, looking to deploy existing resources more effectively, and looking to empower the great work of our farmers and ranchers and producers across the country."

Share and discuss “White House advisers visit MSU, announce climate change strategy” on social media.