College of Osteopathic medicine and Eli Broad College to offer joint MBA program

Effective fall semester of 2015, the MSU College of Osteopathic Medicine and the Eli Broad College of Business will be collaborating to offer a joint Master’s of Business Administration and Doctorate of Osteopathic Medicine program. 

The statement was released last week by MSUToday. 

The program will help medical students develop business skills that are becoming more and more crucial, especially with the evolution of the U.S. healthcare system.

The D.O./M.B.A. concept is relatively new. The first one was created in 1989, between the Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine and St. Joseph’s University. 

Dean William Strampel of the College of Osteopathic Medicine said that part of the reason that this development came about was because there is already a program for joint doctoral degrees, where students can study subjects like microbiology and neuroscience while also becoming a physician, and the department felt that students could benefit from the same type of process except with business skills. 

"Up until this point, students could always do the weekend MBA program, and some of them have done that in the past," Strampel said. 

Strampel felt that investing in a more integrated curriculum would be more beneficial. 

"Rather than do it as a hit-or-miss on weekends here and there, we inculcated a curriculum where the medical school curriculum and the MBA curriculum are kind of interfaced together," Strampel said. "And instead of a four year medical school program, it’s a five year dual degree program." 

He also added that students will have to apply to both the MBA program through the Eli Broad College of Business and the College of Osteopathic Medicine. 

The whole process of collaboration between the two colleges took about a year. 

Strampel said that due to the late announcement of the new joint degree, that the outlook for the number of students next year isn't expected to be large. Since medical school applications are usually decided by November or December, the timing is off for this year. 

He added that next year, the degree will be advertised during the application process for both colleges. He felt that best indicator will be the output next year. 

Share and discuss “College of Osteopathic medicine and Eli Broad College to offer joint MBA program” on social media.