Good Eats: Tastes for this summer

<p>Packaging sophomore Jack Schumacher prepares to throw beer pong ball while international relations senior Marcus Kamal, left, and MSU alumnus Paul Matouka, right, watch April 23, 2015, at What Up Dawg?, 317 M.A.C. Ave. in East Lansing. The group was hanging out at What up Dawg? playing beer pong and enjoying their thirsty Thursday specials. Allyson Telgenhof/The State News.</p>

Packaging sophomore Jack Schumacher prepares to throw beer pong ball while international relations senior Marcus Kamal, left, and MSU alumnus Paul Matouka, right, watch April 23, 2015, at What Up Dawg?, 317 M.A.C. Ave. in East Lansing. The group was hanging out at What up Dawg? playing beer pong and enjoying their thirsty Thursday specials. Allyson Telgenhof/The State News.

East Lansing and the surrounding area is home to several different restaurants that offer delicious summer foods. So while you’re cramming for finals, take a study break and pretend it’s summer by visiting one of these restaurants.

“I usually order the ‘pomelicious’ smoothie.” — Katelyn Prine, social relations and policy senior

Located at 111 S. Washington Square in Lansing, Juice Nation provides a wide array of healthy and refreshing beverages.

Prine said Juice Nation is a favorite among herself and her coworkers.

The “pomelicious” smoothie is a combination featuring strawberries, blueberries and pomegranate juice.

“We use all organic foods and fruits and we don’t add any sugars to anything, so we just use all natural substances.” manager Deonta Bailey said.

Bailey said one of the most popular items on the menu is the wheatgrass shot, which is grown in-house. He said one ounce of it pretty much equals 2.5 pounds of spinach, so it’s a very healthy substance.

“It’s also good for your hair, teeth (and) gums. It does so many good things for you,” he said.

Another unique item is the internal flame shot. It contains a shot of ginger, cayenne pepper and lemon.

“It was delicious, I love me some froyo.” — Marco De Leon, kinesiology junior

Sugar Berry, located at 3201 E. Grand River Ave. in Lansing, gives customers the opportunity to create their own frozen yogurt treat.

Manager Leti Sanchez said the most popular froyo flavor is taro.

“It tastes like a vanilla cone or a vanilla wafer. It has a little hint of coconut in it also,” she said. “It’s very vanilla-y but more like a vanilla wafer than a regular vanilla.”

De Leon said he typically goes for the really sweet flavors, such as chocolate.

He said his first visit to Sugar Berry was his first time ever trying frozen yogurt, and it was love at first bite.

“When I had it the first time I was like, ‘This is delicious, where has this been all my life?’” he said.

In addition to offering several different froyo flavors, Sugar Berry also offers a wide selection of toppings. Some of the toppings available include cashews, berries, crushed Oreos and yogurt chips.

“It’s one of my favorite spots in East Lansing.” — Taylor Anderson, MSU alumnus

Located at 317 M.A.C. Ave., What Up Dawg boasts the best hot “dawgs” in town.

Anderson said this is a pretty accurate claim.

Anderson said he typically orders a coney with chili, mustard, onions and a side of fries.

Manager Corey Austin said the most popular sausage they offer is the smokey dawg.

(What Up Dawg) is a pretty casual place, so it’s a place where you can go to kind of get away from the mainstream restaurant vibe you get pretty much on Grand River,” he said.

For those who aren’t big fans of hot dogs, Austin said he recommends the chicken tender melt.

This sandwich comes with thick Texas toast, buttered on each side, with chicken tenders, bacon and cheese on the inside. This sandwich costs $5.75.

“(Crunchy’s) is good for a burger and a beer. They have a lot of beer.” — Alicia Palmisano, physics graduate student

Crunchy’s, located at 254 W. Grand River Ave., is known for its burgers.

Manager-on-duty Shawn Campbell said the burgers are the most-ordered item by far, and outsell any other item three to one.

Campbell said the most popular burger would be the half-pound famous Crunchy’s burger. Priced at $5.99, this burger comes with cheese, lettuce, onion and pickles.

For those with a smaller appetite, there’s a junior size available, which is a quarter-pound of beef and priced at $4.99.

Campbell said he recommends customers try it with the western toppings, including bacon, barbecue sauce and mozzarella cheese, or the mushroom topping, which is sauteed mushrooms and swiss cheese.

Palmisano said she typically orders the “black and bleu burger,” which is priced at $7.99 and comes with a cajun-seasoned burger with bleu cheese and bacon, served on a pretzel bun.

She said Crunchy’s is her and her friend’s go-to hangout spot.

“It’s a fun atmosphere,” she said.

Share and discuss “Good Eats: Tastes for this summer” on social media.