The recruiting world reacts to MSU's Final Four run

<p>Head coach Tom Izzo answers a question April 3, 2015, during a press conference at the NCAA Tournament in the Final Four round at Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis, Indiana. Erin Hampton/The State News</p>

Head coach Tom Izzo answers a question April 3, 2015, during a press conference at the NCAA Tournament in the Final Four round at Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis, Indiana. Erin Hampton/The State News

Photo by Erin Hampton | The State News

MSU basketball head coach Tom Izzo wants the one-and-done players. He’s said so himself. For some reason though, MSU seems to miss out on those five-star, blue chip recruits more often than not. 

Just in the last two years, Izzo has lost out on recruiting battles for the likes of Jahlil Okafor, Tyus Jones and Jabari Parker.

With MSU now back in the Final Four for the seventh time under Izzo, recruits are once again reminded at the consistency that comes with playing at MSU.

“If you go there, you can pretty much expect to play in (a Final Four) at this point," Scout.com recruiting analyst Josh Gershon said. "It’s going to attract the right kind of kid.

“The players that want to play for Tom Izzo are guys that value winning and you could make the argument that a lot of kids that shy away from playing for Tom Izzo just don’t value winning as much.”

Having the right values and mindset is an important factor throughout MSU athletics, and one thing that always shows itself in the basketball program is the family atmosphere.

“He’s gonna get on people and challenge them but at the same time, he loves them,” Hamilton Southeastern boy’s basketball coach Brian Sattersfield said.

Sattersfield has coached former MSU standout Gary Harris and current Michigan forward Zak Irvin. He said it was that close community that helped him make his final decision between MSU and Indiana.

“(Izzo) takes care of his players and makes them feel like they’re a good part and lets them know when they’re doing things the right way,” Sattersfield said. “Anytime that you can have a player that gets out there and wants to compete and play for somebody like that, and can be challenged and keep moving in the right direction, I think is a positive.”

Current MSU commit Deyonta Davis, from Muskegon High School, is a five-star, blue chip recruit that committed to MSU his sophomore year.

Success and the close-knit group that the Spartans have certainly had a lot to do with it, but Davis’ high school coach Keith Guy pointed to something else as the main draw.

“They do things the right way, and that’s the one thing that drew Deyonta to want to attend (MSU),” Guy said. “They do things the right way and they believe in old school principles, and there’s no secret to why he’s so successful.”

When it comes down to the impact that this Final Four run can have on recruiting, it might not have one at all.

“I don’t think think you can say this specific Final Four run is going to help Tom Izzo,” Gershon said. “It’s the full package with him and this is just another extremely impressive accomplishment in what’s been a long career for him.

“He’s a known over-achiever in the tournament. I don’t know if there’s another coach in the country that you’d be scared of to see on the opposite sideline than him in the postseason, and he proved that again.”

The reasons that that recruits choose to attend MSU or decide to go elsewhere are vast. Izzo can be a demanding coach to play for at times, but he is also a proven winner.

This Final Four run did nothing but reassure what everyone already knew about MSU and its headman. The Spartans approach on and off the court has remained a constant, and so have the results.

“When you look at the last decade or so there’s no other program that’s having the type of success that Michigan State’s had,” Guy said. “And that’s going to continue.”

Share and discuss “The recruiting world reacts to MSU's Final Four run” on social media.