Cedar Village relatively peaceful following MSU's Final Four loss to Duke

Video shot after MSU’s 20-point loss to Duke.

UPDATE, 11:30 P.M. 

East Lansing police have announced the arrest of seven people for disorderly conduct following MSU's loss, several of them in Cedar Village. The violations "consisted of wrongfully propelling objects at police and others in the area." Police estimated the size of crowd in the area at about 100-125 people. In a statement, East Lansing police chief Julie Liebler said she was "glad that the majority of Spartan fans chose to celebrate responsibly.”

The stage was set for potentially massive revelries in East Lansing Saturday night, but MSU's crushing loss to Duke University in Indianapolis dampened the spirits of students.

Following the 81-61 loss in the Final Four, groups of students chanted and cheered but the energy was significantly lower than last weekend's celebration following MSU's win over University of Louisville. 

In Cedar Village, officers wore riot gear and rode horses but nearly outnumbered students on the streets minutes after the game ended. Even before halftime, certain buildings had been fenced off and floodlights had been erected, but were never even turned on. 

After a few minutes students began to gather on opposing street corners and chant back and forth but stayed relatively calm and were under significant police surveillance.  

At least four arrests were made, as students threw lemons at news vans which drove by. The general attitude of residents in Cedar Village reflected irritation with the heavy police and media presence, with students yelling out their windows for officials to "go home" and "nothing is going to happen."

"When we lose, spirits are down," Leider said. "No one wants to celebrate. With the loss, this is kind of what I expected. More police than students."

Former MSU student Lucas Gerding said although the police presence put a damper on mass excitement, celebrators turned out and partied as much as they could.

"Win or lose, fans will always do what they do, which is get wild," Gerding said.

Most of the serious action took place outside of Cedar Village. 

Police responded to at least three couches on fire, the first of which was reported on Evergreen Avenue and Forest Road. Officers were on the scene within a few minutes and quickly doused the flames. 

By 9:20, students were beginning to slowly head home and file out of Cedar Village. Police followed suit and the area was relatively empty by 10 p.m.

Share and discuss “Cedar Village relatively peaceful following MSU's Final Four loss to Duke” on social media.