Breakdancing Club gears up for area-wide competition

The sights and sounds of the MSU Breakdance Club. 

Photo by Jessica Steeley | The State News

MSU Breakdance club will compete against other Midwest breakdancing crews this Saturday as part of the Red Cedar Ransom 6 at The Loft in Lansing. 

The crews are competing for an $800 prize, mechanical engineering junior and club president Michael Doa said.

Doa said the team has set up the event, found judges from other Midwest crews and hired a local emcee and DJ.

“There’s not a crazy amount to do except show up — make sure Michigan State has a presence, make sure that the rest of the Midwest knows who we are,” Doa said. “if not talent-wise at least person-wise.” 

Doa said the competition is focused on one style, four versus four, and is going to host many Midwest crews. 

Hospitality business senior Austin Dresner said he’s bringing back some of his old friends to compete with him in the competition, including one who introduced him to the club as a freshman. Dresner said he’s practicing all he can to get ready for Saturday. 

“It’s just a rush that scares the crap out of me, but at the same time I want to keep doing it over and over and over again,” Dresner said. “I’ve been breakdancing for five years, and some of my best friends are from this club.”

Medical student Arpon Shahed said he is looking forward to dancing and is preparing by working out, making sure his moves are clean and remembering to enjoy himself, because that’s when he performs at his best. 

Being from Canada, Shahed isn’t used to Michigan’s breakdance style, so he said he dances with some of the younger members in the club because it makes him train harder and encourages him to try new moves.

Hospitality business freshman Kanmani Govardhanan is new to the club this year, but she said she’s excited for the competition.

Govardhanan said she’s practicing her moves for the competition and trying to learn new ideas from the more experienced members, but Doa thinks the new members have learned a lot and are hitting beats and creating their own moves. 

“It’s just so beautiful how they’ve grown since day one cause everyone, especially these new people, have come in here knowing absolutely nothing,” Doa said. 

The club is a fun experience for Govardhanan and she said she hopes to improve her skills.

The event is held every other year and Doa said judges pick the top 16 crews from all entries. From there, it’s tournament style.

“They’re parties for all of us to just hang out, network, get to know each other, cause we’re all excited to know other people who dance and people who share our passion,” Doa said. 

Share and discuss “Breakdancing Club gears up for area-wide competition” on social media.