Men's basketball prepares to face off with No. 5 Wisconsin

<p>Senior guard/forward Branden Dawson looks to pass around Minnesota forward Joey King Feb 26, 2015, during the game against Minnesota at Breslin Center. The Spartans fell to the Golden Gophers during overtime, 96-90. Kennedy Thatch/The State News</p>

Senior guard/forward Branden Dawson looks to pass around Minnesota forward Joey King Feb 26, 2015, during the game against Minnesota at Breslin Center. The Spartans fell to the Golden Gophers during overtime, 96-90. Kennedy Thatch/The State News

Photo by Kennedy Thatch | The State News

Thursday night's home loss to Minnesota was so frustrating for men's basketball head coach Tom Izzo, he didn't watch film of the game, instead opting to prepare for MSU's next opponent.

With No. 5 Wisconsin around the corner, the Spartans will need to figure things out quickly if they want to say afloat in the Big Ten race. 

"I’m getting a special exemption and I’m getting rid of (the tape)," Izzo said. "I just didn’t like anything about it and I saw enough in person. To be honest I didn’t look at the film, I don’t need to look at the film, so I went on to Wisconsin because we have such a quick turnaround with the travel and that’s what I did last night.”

Three days after falling to the Golden Gophers in overtime, 96-90, MSU (19-9 overall, 10-5 Big Ten) will travel to Madison to take on Wisconsin (25-3, 13-2) on Sunday. After a horrid defensive performance on Thursday, the Spartans will now have to find an answer for senior forward Frank Kaminsky, one of the best players in the country. 

Kaminsky is averaging 17.7 points, 8.3 rebounds, 2.4 assists and 1.6 blocks, and though he is a post player, his ability to step out and shoot the ball is a potent weapon in Wisconsin's offense. 

"He puts it on the floor so much better," Izzo said of Kaminsky. "He posts more. He is taking less 3s. They’ve done a great job and offensively they are really, really, really good. I mean, really good. I think better than any team we’ve played – any team we’ve played.”

A bigger challenge for MSU could be finding a way to score against Wisconsin's defense. The Badgers are holding opponents to 55.6 points per game, the best mark in the Big Ten by a wide margin. 

"They look better defensively on film and part of it is the size," Izzo said. "They don’t have great depth, but there is a couple of things they don’t do. They don’t turn the ball over and they don’t foul, so it’s harder to score points if you never get to the line. I think teams are averaging like 10 free throws a game against them which is incredible."

Thanks to missed free throws, inopportune fouls and a complete inability to slow down Minnesota offensively, the Spartans suffered a huge downer loss Thursday after building up momentum with a four game winning streak. 

"Hasn't been a lot of times I've been disappointed, but I was disappointed," Izzo said. :When you miss free throws, for everybody else you're disappointed. But nobody goes there and make a concerted effort to miss a free throw. You question whether guys are making a concerted effort to do their job if guys are driving right by when you're supposed to be stepping up or when you're supposed to be doing things."

Izzo said there's a challenge in finding a way to recover from a bad loss in a short period of time, but a win on Sunday would be give a dramatic boost to MSU's resume. The hangover of the Minnesota has to be quickly cured if the Spartans want to compete against the best team in the conference.

"I'm not going to change last night, but somebody better figure it out and learn from it if we're going to move forward in a positive direction," Izzo said.

Share and discuss “Men's basketball prepares to face off with No. 5 Wisconsin ” on social media.