We The Kings band members use video blogging to connect with fans

<p>Travis Clark of We the Kings performs March 22, 2015, in the Great Hall at Wharton Center. The concert was free for MSU students and was organized by the University Activities Board. Allyson Telgenhof/The State News.</p>

Travis Clark of We the Kings performs March 22, 2015, in the Great Hall at Wharton Center. The concert was free for MSU students and was organized by the University Activities Board. Allyson Telgenhof/The State News.

They were waiting for rock band We the Kings, which performed a free show for students in an event presented by the University Activities Board, though plenty of non-students and residents from all over were in attendance as well.

People might remember rocking out to “Check Yes Juliet” in their bedrooms throughout their middle school days.

More recently, they might have stumbled across a YouTube vlogger, or video blogger, named Charles Trippy, who happens to be the lead bassist of the band.

Among the excited crowd was Glen Oaks Community College student Mary Miller, who said she heard about the concert through Trippy’s Facebook page.

She said she lives about an hour and a half away from Wharton Center, and she’s a huge fan of the band, so she decided to buy a ticket and make the drive.

“I want to push through everyone right now and just get there,” she joked as she anxiously waited in line.

This concert was the second time Miller saw We the Kings live.

She said her first We the Kings concert experience was a wonderful birthday present from her family.

“I showed up to the place six hours in advance, and then they had a meeting at the mall, so I showed up for that also. And then they were all just talking to me,” she said. “They signed my shoes.”

She said meeting the band was an awesome and overwhelming experience. She added that she was really hoping to be able to meet them again at Sunday’s concert.

Miller said she discovered the band through Trippy’s YouTube channel during her senior year of high school.

Right away, she felt a closeness to Trippy, as she could tell he was a genuinely kind individual who cares a lot for his fans.

“He’s just really sweet, and he is there for his fans,” she said. “He (lived) through a brain tumor, and he vlogged that (experience) on YouTube. And he’s just been there for us. Anytime we’re down, he will send us messages saying, ‘We’re here for you.’”

After a while, Miller said Trippy got his bandmates to start vlogging, and that’s how she discovered the band as a whole.

Trippy said vlogs are important to him because not only are they fun to film, they offer a platform for his fans to truly get to know him.

Lead vocalist Travis Clark and Trippy joked that sometimes their vlogs consist of something as simple as just eating chips and chatting the night before a show.

For Miller, We the Kings is more than just a band.

She said the group means everything to her, and they’ve helped her get through the best and worst times of her life.

She said a couple of the songs she relates most to, and was hoping would be performed at the concert, are “Stone Walls” and “Just Keep Breathing.”

Share and discuss “We The Kings band members use video blogging to connect with fans” on social media.