MSU prepares to play No. 2 seed Virginia Sunday

Troy Jefferson and Omari Sankofa II preview MSU's Round of 32 matchup with Virginia.

Photo by Troy Jefferson and Omari Sankofa II | The State News

When head coach Tom Izzo first realized MSU would potentially play No. 2 seed Virginia in the second round, he first thought to himself, "Why?"

The Spartans barely prevailed against the top-seeded Cavaliers in last year's Sweet 16 round, and will now have to crack one of the top defenses in the nation for a second year in a row.

Not having the services of Gary Harris and Adreian Payne will add to the challenge.

"They're about as mistake-free as a team on both ends of the court offensively and defensively, you're going to earn your keep when you play them," Izzo said.

No. 7 seed MSU (24-11 overall) will face Virginia (30-3) tomorrow at 12:10 p.m. in the third round of the NCAA Tournament.

Virginia boasts the staunchest scoring defense in the nation, holding opponents to 51.2 points per game. Virginia head coach Tony Bennett employs a defensive concept known as "Pack-Line defense," which is based on forcing dribble penetrators into help defense and snuffing out spot-up 3-point attempts.

Defenders move around the pack line, an imaginary 16-foot line within the 3-point arc, to limit ball penetration and maintain pressure on the arc. Virginia also limits transition opportunities, opting to immediately get back on defense instead of fighting for the offensive rebound.

MSU's halfcourt offense has been a work-in-progress all season. If Virginia effectively shuts down MSU's transition offense, which has been a strength this season, interior ball movement will be a key to making things happen on offense.

"I think we just have to make just the simple play," senior forward Branden Dawson said. "We just have to stay dialed in on our offense. We can't have too many mistakes against a well defensive team like Virginia, so I think if we play solid, we listen to coach game plan, I think we be okay."

The Spartans defeated Virginia in the Sweet 16 round last year, 61-59, with the help of monster games from Dawson and then-senior forward Adreian Payne. Dawson had what Izzo said might of been the best game of his career, posting 24 points and 10 rebounds. Payne added 16 points, five rebounds and a pair of blocks.

Virginia effectively shut down Harris, then-sophomore guard Denzel Valentine and then-senior guard Keith Appling, who combined for 11 points on 4-of-12 shooting.

"My biggest concern is how we match up with the size of their perimeter people more than their inside people," Izzo said. "Their inside people are strong and athletic and good, but their perimeter people, not only in height but in girth, they're big, they're big. We're not as big there, so I've got to figure out a way to, I don't know, work around that."

Virginia will hope for a big game from junior guard Justin Anderson, who missed eight games from mid-February to early March with a broken pinky. He scored 15 points on Friday to help the Cavaliers overcome Belmont in the second round of the NCAA Tournament.

With his pinky taped, Anderson didn't score in two ACC tournament games. Of Virginia's three losses this season, two came during Anderson's absence. Izzo believes a healthy Anderson will make Virginia even more formidable.

"Anderson, if you watch him before he got hurt, I think was playing at a whole 'nother level," Izzo said. "The other night I'm sure was reassuring to Tony that at least he's coming back."

Anderson said MSU's transition offense is reminisce of some of the ACC powerhouses — North Carolina, Louisville — and limiting that aspect of MSU's offense will be a key for Virginia to prevail.

"Valentine and (Travis) Trice are playing at a high level this year, they're stepping up and filling those shoes from the guys last year and we have to make sure we keep constant ball pressure on them and not let them get going offensively," Anderson said. 

Share and discuss “MSU prepares to play No. 2 seed Virginia Sunday” on social media.