MSU's definitions of hazing, bullying may be clarified after University Council approval

The major change to the regulations involve “adding explicit references to sexual misconduct, domestic and dating violence, stalking, bullying and hazing,” the memorandum sent by University Committee on Student Affairs to the Steering Committee read. Currently, all such behavior is covered by the current document, but is not explicitly referenced.

UCSA and ASMSU previously approved the revisions and the document had not been changed since 1988, said Deputy General Counsel Kristine Zayko, who presented the changes to the council.

The definitions for bullying and hazing are provided in the proposed appendix for the regulations.

Bullying is defined as “an intentional electronic, written, verbal, or physical act, or a series of acts, directed at another person that is severe, persistent, or pervasive and has the effect of doing any of the following — Substantially interfering with a student’s education, creating a threatening environment or substantially disrupting the orderly operation of the University,” according to the newly drafted document.

The changes define hazing as “requiring or encouraging any act, whether or not the act is voluntarily agreed upon, in conjunction with initiation, affiliation with, continued membership, or participation in any group that causes or creates a substantial risk of causing mental or physical harm or humiliation.”

Definitions for sexual misconduct, domestic or dating violence, stalking or violating the Anti-Discrimination Policy are covered by other areas of university policy.

A subcommittee of UCSA, which originally drafted the changes, came upon those definitions by consulting the policies of other Big Ten schools, state and federal laws and consulted with subject matter experts, Zayko said.

One issue that was not addressed in the changes was the extent that MSU can enforce policy violations off campus.

Zayko said MSU’s reach off campus was the most limited of any Big Ten school, and the subcommittee considered trying to extend that reach.

“We did not feel we had enough support among the undergraduate student community at this time,” she said.

She added that while it was discussed at length, the committee did not ultimately feel they were ready to make the change.

President Lou Anna K. Simon said MSU’s reach was “very conservative” and added that “universities are more and more responsible in dealing with actions that occur off campus.”

Share and discuss “MSU's definitions of hazing, bullying may be clarified after University Council approval” on social media.