Men's tennis splits weekend series with Dartmouth and Youngstown State

The men's tennis team took a step in the right direction this weekend, but still couldn't quite take advantage of a good start yet again. The team lost to Dartmouth 4-2 with one unfinished set despite opening the match winning doubles—a problem for the team as of late.

"Tough match with Dartmouth, especially after you win a doubles point obviously you think you have a real good chance of winning it," head coach Gene Orlando said. "Close but not close enough...(I told the guys) you gave everything out there, we competed as hard as we possibly can and we gave ourselves a chance.

"I know you're down, you could see them all down, and that's what this program is all about you gave you're everything. You give everything and you have nothing to be ashamed of."

The team turned it around in their second match of the day as the Spartans dominated Youngstown State, cruising to a 6-0 victory, with one unfinished match.

"Being ready to come back and play within an hour and 15 minutes later, playing Youngstown State the guys really took care of business and didn't give them a chance to make it a match," Orlando said.

The team began the match winning doubles— senior Harry Jadun and sophomore Brett Forman were the first to finish their match winning 6-1 over Penguins team of junior Dawoud Kabli and freshman Victor Pereira. 

The Spartans also won in the second completed doubles match senior Doug Zade and Freshman Jasper Koenen defeated freshman Gabriel Tolesani and freshman Youssef Sherif 6-3, giving MSU a win in doubles and a 1-0 lead.

Freshman Michael Dube was the first to finish dominating his singles match against Sherif, winning in straight sets both 6-1, the win gave MSU a 2-0 lead. 

By time the second match came to a close a clear theme was building in the facility, Forman dominated Penguins freshman Remi Chancerel in straight sets as well, both 6-1. The third match also ended in straight sets Zade won easily against Pereira in straight sets as well 6-1 and 6-0.

With the win already in hand, the sweep of the night became clear as Koenen won in straight sets as well 6-3 and 6-2, giving MSU a 5-0 lead.

Sophomore Mac Roy won in straights sets 6-2 and 6-4, ending the night for MSU as the other singles match featuring senior Harry Jadun was called, Jadun won the first set 6-3 and had a 3-2 lead in the second set.

The team has some time off and return to plan on March 12. traveling to Texas to take on the Longhorns. 

Share and discuss “Men's tennis splits weekend series with Dartmouth and Youngstown State” on social media.