Baseball team looks to bounce back from rough weekend

This was a rough weekend for the Spartan Baseball team, as they dropped all three games last weekend to No. 7 UCLA. MSU has now dropped five of their last six games.

Friday's game started off well for the Spartans with Chad Roskelly hitting his first home run and putting the team up 2-0, from there it was all Bruins though. In the bottom half of the inning UCLA was able to tack on six runs, blowing the game wide open. They would go on to score another eight runs in the game sealing an easy victory 14-2. 

Saturday's game was more of a pitcher's game for both teams. Spartan pitcher Cam Vieaux pitched a great game in the loss holding the Bruins to only two runs and five hits. He was able to strand two runners in both the third and sixth innings. Despite his great game the Spartans weren't able to put any runs on the board and would eventually lose the game 5-0. 

Sunday the Spartans had another opponent besides UCLA: the rain. The game was halted for nearly two hours in the third inning. The game would eventually get called in the top of the fifth due to the bad weather. 

The Bruins started off hot scoring three runs in the bottom of the first inning. They stayed strong on defense too, pulling off a double play that got them out of trouble in the top of the third.

Chad Roskelly who has been on a tear lately brought in the Spartan's only run with a single bringing Mark Weist home. Reliever Jeff Kinley didn't allow a hit in his one and two-thirds of pitching before the game was called. The Spartans went 0-3 on the weekend losing the game 4-1.

The Spartans will now go on a eight-game road trip, starting March 6 when they take on Toledo in the Coastal Carolina invitational in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina. 

Share and discuss “Baseball team looks to bounce back from rough weekend” on social media.