MSU softball seeks victory in opening home series this weekend

The softball team will try and get back on the winning track in their home opening series this weekend.

MSU (15-15 overall, 0-3 Big Ten) opens a three game series against Penn State (13-15 overall, 0-3 Big Ten) on Friday.

The Spartans were swept in their Big Ten opening series against Nebraska (16-12 overall, 4-0 Big Ten) last week.

MSU’s pitching staff struggled all weekend to contain the potent Cornhusker bats, which combined for 28 runs in three games.

The Spartans had their best performance of the week on Sunday despite, losing 7-5.

MSU held a 5-4 lead heading into the bottom of the sixth inning but a three-run homer by Nebraska’s Alicia Armstrong gave the Cornhuskers the edge.

Defensive miscues were a huge problem for MSU against Nebraska. The Spartans had three errors in each game and are second to last in the Big Ten in fielding percentage.

"We're just taking as many ground balls as we can, we're playing on a completely different surface this weekend," head coach Jacquie Joseph said. "It's not better or worse it's different."

The only other schools that have committed more errors than MSU’s 44 in the Big Ten are Maryland and Indiana.

At the plate, freshman infielder McKenzie Long had a strong weekend.

Long, who batted in the five hole, combined for five hits, five runs, seven hits and boosted her average from .277 to .310.

"I was happy to start my first ever Big Ten series out strong," Long said. "It was nice to feel comfortable."

Long and her teammates will be going against a Penn State pitching staff, which is in the middle of the pack in the conference with a 4.08 ERA.

Sophomore pitcher Marlaina Laubach has led the charge for the Nittany Lions’ staff, posting a 7-6 record with a 2.84 ERA.

Laubach is the only starter on the roster that has started at least five games and has a winning record.

On the season, Laubach has pitched six complete games and struck out 37 batters in 74 innings of work.

"We're ready to get back on track and start fresh," Long said.

Last year, Penn State swept MSU in East Lansing in a three game series. The first game of the series was pushed back until 2p.m. on Saturday. 

MSU and Penn State will play a double header on Saturday and first pitch on Sunday will be at 2p.m. 

Share and discuss “MSU softball seeks victory in opening home series this weekend” on social media.