Students, businesses brace themselves for St. Patrick's Day

<p>Olivet College student Tyre Alexander mingles with Grand Valley State students Destiny Daniels, center, and Ashley Mamula, right, March, 17, 2014, outside a party on Collingwood Drive. Although St. Patrick's Day was on a Monday, a school day for MSU students, many students still found time to party. Erin Hampton/The State News</p>

Olivet College student Tyre Alexander mingles with Grand Valley State students Destiny Daniels, center, and Ashley Mamula, right, March, 17, 2014, outside a party on Collingwood Drive. Although St. Patrick's Day was on a Monday, a school day for MSU students, many students still found time to party. Erin Hampton/The State News

Photo by Erin Hampton | The State News

St. Patrick’s Day has historically been an exciting day on MSU’s campus, and everyone is getting ready for what should be a day to remember.

Harper’s Restaurant and Brewpub, located on Albert Avenue, is a popular social gathering spot on a normal day. During St. Patrick’s Day, however, the environment is entirely different.

Harper’s employee Brent Gilbert said he already knows this Tuesday will be more than a little hectic.

“St. Patrick’s Day is awesome. We get here early in the morning and there’s already a line forming outside of the door,” Gilbert said. “It’s also a big day for our employees. They’re on their feet and working for the majority of the day, with minimal breaks.”

While the day is a busy one, St. Patrick’s Day certainly has its upside for the MSU community.

“It’s a great day and a great tradition for the students,” Gilbert said. “It’s going to be big, just like it always is.”

While Harper’s has prepared for the St. Patrick’s Day atmosphere, fraternities around campus have also taken steps to ensure today is a blast for all involved.

Journalism sophomore Romero Hardy Jr., a member of the Kappa Sigma fraternity, already knows that St. Patrick’s Day will be one for the books in terms of students and visitors having a good time.

“This year will be my second St. (Patrick’s) Day here at MSU, and last year’s was definitely one to remember,” Hardy said. “I’ve never seen the campus like that.”

However, Hardy said his fraternity will work to ensure the festivities are enjoyed in a responsible and safe manner for all students involved.

“St. Paddy’s Day can easily get out of hand if students aren’t careful,” Hardy said.

Share and discuss “Students, businesses brace themselves for St. Patrick's Day” on social media.