Friends with mental health issues need your support

<p>Jessica Steeley</p>

Jessica Steeley

Mental disorders are real, and the effects they have on people are crippling. Though I don’t suffer from mental illness, most of my friends do. I’ve had experience interacting with people who live with depression, anxiety and trichotillomania.

Although I’ve never dealt with these illnesses myself, I’ve seen how it can affect people. And just because I can’t relate to the feelings doesn’t mean I can’t help.

That’s true of anyone — if someone you know has a mental illness, you can’t cure them, but there are ways to comfort them.

It doesn’t have to be a grand gesture. Simply hugging one of your friends when you see them crying or hurting can help. It’s important that those with mental illnesses know they’re cared for and loved. I can’t offer professional advice, but I’ve learned a lot from having several friends with mental disorders.

For example, sometimes people suffering from depression or anxiety might not want to leave their homes or see anybody at times, even their friends. As their friend, don’t try to force them to go somewhere or make them see you. Just understand they need to be alone at times and, because they’re suffering, let them know that you’re still there for them and remind them there are people who care.

Never blame someone for their mental illness. You wouldn’t blame someone for having cancer, so why blame someone for how their mental disorder affects their life?

Be patient with your friends, understand there are some situations that make them uncomfortable. Don’t tell them to focus on the positives, snap out of it or just stop worrying; that won’t magically cure their disorder.

Ignoring the problem doesn’t make the problem go away. The same goes for your friendship. You might not want to deal with your friend’s mental disorder, but, if you ignore that they have one, your friendship will deteriorate.

If you have a friend with a mental illness, regardless of what it is, you have to educate yourself on the mental illness and how it can affect your friend’s life. This will help you to understand your friend’s actions better, and create a healthy relationship for them to feel secure.

Share and discuss “Friends with mental health issues need your support” on social media.