Second Mental Health Awareness week kicks off Monday

<p>The MSU Men's Glee Club performs the fight song April 10, 2014, at Beaumont Tower for Mental Health Awareness Week. Attendees heard from speakers about mental health stigmas. Meagan Beck/The State News</p>

The MSU Men's Glee Club performs the fight song April 10, 2014, at Beaumont Tower for Mental Health Awareness Week. Attendees heard from speakers about mental health stigmas. Meagan Beck/The State News

Photo by Meagan Beck | The State News

The second annual Mental Health Awareness Week, themed “Release the Stigma,” begins March 30 and will continue until April 3.

A variety of events will be held to help spark discussion and eliminate the stigma surrounding mental health.

In February the Associated Students of Michigan State University budgeted for $13,500 to go toward stress balls, t-shirts and other promotional items to assist in spreading awareness of mental health issues.

Ryan Smith, vice president of special projects and public policy sophomore, said there are three concepts that are serving as the foundation.

“To educate students on mental health afflictions and resources, to release the stigma and to advocate for better resources ... those are the three prongs behind the purpose of Mental Health Awareness Week,” Smith said.

Other student organizations and the city of East Lansing have been involved to make the event bigger and engage not just students but also the community.

Bryn Williams, ASMSU community liaison and political theory and constitutional democracy sophomore, said East Lansing City Council has given official recognition of Mental Health Awareness Week.

“Mental health is vastly underrepresented in basically all areas of society and awareness is very low and I think the people at the city really understand that,” Williams said.

Many businesses on Grand River Avenue will also be showing their support through displaying signs and having green lightbulbs on, even after the business has closed.

One of the involved student organizations is the Student Health Advisory Council, which is coordinating the third annual “Embrace the Rain” event Wednesday night at the Erickson Hall Kiva.

Trish Abalo, SHAC vice president and interdisciplinary studies in social science junior, said there will be a resource fair, music, poetry and the opportunity for people to give their own testimonials with mental health.

“We really want to unite the impacted statistics with humanizing the experiences (of mental health),” Abalo said.

She said it is meant to be a safe place for people to tell their stories related to mental health and these stories will resonate with others more than a statistic might.

Abalo additionally said people of all different backgrounds, and not just students, are welcome to share their testimonials.

“We really want to encourage diverse people because mental health is something that’s a cross-cultural issue,” Abalo said.

In addition to the events, student organizations will be handing out flowers, ribbons or engaging in other acts of kindness all week.

Mirijam Garske, president of Active Minds and environmental biology and microbiology junior, said she hopes these not only brighten someone’s day but additionally provide information on the resources available for those who might be struggling.

“People don’t want to talk about issues they have or don’t want to ask for help,” Garske said. “The best way to release the stigma is to talk about it.”

Share and discuss “Second Mental Health Awareness week kicks off Monday” on social media.