Round three: MSU prepares to take on Maryland for the third time this season in semifinals of the Big Ten tournament

Men's basketball beat writers Omari Sankofa II and John Neidhart break down MSU's semifinal match against No. 8 Maryland.

Photo by Omari Sankofa II | The State News

Following its quarterfinal victory, MSU has earned a shot at redemption in a semi-final matchup with No. 8 Maryland.

Visions of Maryland freshman guard Melo Trimble raining threes at Xfinity Center and a beat-down in College Park seem like ages ago. It’s been almost two months since the teams met for the second time on Jan. 17, a game in which the Spartans fell behind at halftime and could never recover.

Both teams have grown in the time since they last played and after all the ups and downs for MSU, the team has positioned itself for a chance to go to the Big Ten tournament championship game. The Spartans looked both dominant and vulnerable at times in a 76-67 win over Ohio State but so did the Terrapins in a 75-69 win over Indiana.

Maryland presents matchup problems for the Spartans, and those have been on display in the previous two meetings between the teams. The Terrapins boast size and length and the roster as a whole is well-rounded.

“I think just their talent level from top to bottom,” senior guard Travis Trice said. “They have skilled guards, wings and their big men are physical. They're a great team defensively.

Maryland has capable three-point shooters as Trimble, Dez Wells, Jared Nickens, and Jake Layman all shoot better than 50 percent from deep. Wells is a very athletic wingman, and he slammed home a couple very aggressive dunks in Friday’s win over Indiana.

Trimble also lives at the free throw line. He's averaging seven attempts per game, and in the two prior meetings, Trimble shot 16 free throws.

Both teams will have a quick turnaround with game time set for approximately 3:30 p.m. ET but for head coach Tom Izzo, the short rest isn’t a problem.

“I'll tell you, if there's a better thing to do during March Madness than to stay up all night and work, it's the greatest thing there is,” Izzo said. “I really mean that sincerely. I love the moment, I love the opportunity. I'm getting a little old for it, but it's still a lot of fun.”

Izzo team’s are usually ready to go come tournament time and Saturday’s contest with Maryland should be a good prep game for the NCAA tournament.

Following his 14 point, 8 rebound, and 7 assist performance, senior forward Branden Dawson suggested a pretty simple approach to reloading for Maryland.

“We just have to go back, regroup, get our minds right, get our bodies right and come ready to play tomorrow,” Dawson said.

Share and discuss “Round three: MSU prepares to take on Maryland for the third time this season in semifinals of the Big Ten tournament” on social media.