Alumnus continues 5K trek with the Lucky Feet 5K

<p>Midland resident and MSU alumnus Robert Lincoln runs Mar. 15, 2015, during the 2015 Lucky Feet 5k Kidney Run/Walk that began at 542 Auditorium Rd. Lincoln plans to run a 5k every weekend for the entirety of this upcoming summer. Alice Kole/The State News</p>

Midland resident and MSU alumnus Robert Lincoln runs Mar. 15, 2015, during the 2015 Lucky Feet 5k Kidney Run/Walk that began at 542 Auditorium Rd. Lincoln plans to run a 5k every weekend for the entirety of this upcoming summer. Alice Kole/The State News

Photo by Alice Kole | The State News

For Midland resident and MSU alumnus Robert Lincoln, this is part of his plan to run one 5K every weekend.

Lucky Feet is an event put on by the National Kidney Foundation of Michigan.

The event features a standard 5K, where participants are encouraged to go at their own pace, and also a Kids ¼ Miles Leprechaun Leap, which is specifically for kids age 12 and under.

According to the NKFM’s website, 90 cents of every dollar made benefits the organization’s programs and services that assist Michiganders who suffer from or are at risk for kidney disease.

About 30 people gathered by the rock for the event. Participants donned athletic clothing and minimal winter gear, such as ear muffs, as they chatted, eagerly anticipating the start of the 5K.

The event’s theme was St. Patrick’s Day, so some people donned shamrock-themed attire. Sparty also made an appearance and interacted with people and participants.

East Lansing resident Azhar Ahamad said he was participating in the 5K because he believes it’s a worthwhile cause. He said the importance of the kidney as a body part is typically downplayed, which is insulting to those who suffer from a kidney-related disease.

“My aunt has dialysis so that makes me feel like if I can contribute something, someone else could benefit from it. I couldn’t do anything for my aunt but at least maybe someone else could benefit from it,” he said.

Lincoln said he was there because he plans on doing a 5K every weekend to the summer.

“I turn 60 this year, and I think ... we can sit around and talk about our aches and pains or we can get off the couch and do something about it,” he said. “So this is my way of getting off the couch and doing something about it.”

Lincoln said this was his second 5K — he participated in Flint’s “Run Your Ice Off” a couple of weeks ago. He said it went well, though it was a lot colder then, and he predicts he will improve as it gets warmer since the weather won’t be as bad on his bones.

His commitment to his weekly 5Ks isn’t the only thing that brought Lincoln to Lucky Feet. Kidney-related health problems is an issue that hits close to home for him.

Lincoln said he personally doesn’t suffer from kidney-related issues, and neither do any relatives, but he has friends who have had significant problems. He said it’s difficult to watch someone you’re so close to go through that.

“It’s tough, anytime anybody has any type of physical problem, the main thing is the limitations,” he said. “I’ve got a very good friend now that’s on dialysis, and so his quality of life is not what it used to be, and so that’s just tough to watch sometimes.”

That isn’t the only personal aspect of this 5K for Lincoln. As an MSU alumnus, Lincoln said he jumps at every possible opportunity to participate in an on-campus event.

He said he’s had a very good life, and it all began at MSU.Lincoln said his best memories come from being a resident assistant and graduate assistant.

The positions were not only a lot of fun, they were also learning experiences for him during his time at MSU.

Share and discuss “Alumnus continues 5K trek with the Lucky Feet 5K” on social media.