Ice hockey in first place following 3-0 win against Wisconsin

It wasn’t long ago that MSU hockey was searching for consistency and confidence. After another 3-0 victory over Wisconsin on Saturday night, the Spartans find themselves at the top of the Big Ten standings with just two games to go.

Junior goaltender Jake Hildebrand finished with 38 saves to shutout Wisconsin for the third straight game. Hildebrand now has six shutouts this season with four of them coming in the last eight games.

Senior forward Matt Berry and sophomore forward Mackenzie MacEachern each scored their 11th goals of the year, tying them with junior captain Michael Ferrantino for the team lead.

Junior forward Ryan Keller also scored for the Spartans.

With the Badgers turning to backup goaltender Landon Peterson Saturday night, the Spartans barraged the senior with shots early in the game. MSU had one opportunity on the power play in the first period, generating two shots on net and missing a few more.

Peterson looked confident in just his fifth game this season, making 10 saves in the opening period. The Badgers also had a chance on the man advantage in the first, but could not generate a shot on net.

Berry scored his third goal of the weekend unassisted 1:42 into the second period. After forcing a turnover in the neutral zone, Berry skated in on a 2-on-1 break with sophomore forward Joe Cox. With the Badgers defenseman taking away the passing lane to Cox, Berry shot the puck from just inside the left faceoff circle and beat Paterson to the blocker side.

The Spartans jumped out to a 3-0 lead in the third period with two goals 54 seconds apart. MacEachern scored a power play goal 4:00 into the period. Berry and Ebbing set up MSU’s third power play tally of the weekend, in a much similar fashion to Berry’s second goal Friday night.

Keller 4:54 into the final frame after Cox forced a turnover and made a nice pass from his knees. Keller took the pass in the slot and wristed a shot over Peterson’s glove hand.

The goal extended Keller’s career-long point streak to six games, and gave him eight goals on the season.

Share and discuss “Ice hockey in first place following 3-0 win against Wisconsin ” on social media.