Good Eats: Outdoor options for the increasingly warm weather

<p>Laingsburg residents Jonna Heaton and Julie Beach wait for their bill March 25, 2015, at HopCat, 300 Grove St. in East Lansing.  The friends said they enjoy eating lunch at HopCat frequently. Kennedy Thatch/The State News</p>

Laingsburg residents Jonna Heaton and Julie Beach wait for their bill March 25, 2015, at HopCat, 300 Grove St. in East Lansing. The friends said they enjoy eating lunch at HopCat frequently. Kennedy Thatch/The State News

Photo by Kennedy Thatch | The State News

Peanut Barrel

“Compared to other East Lansing bars, it’s really a hometown bar.” —­ Keven Sircher, natural resources recreation and tourism senior

Peanut Barrel, located at 521 E. Grand River Ave., is widely considered an East Lansing staple by students and residents alike.

On a typical sunny day, expect Peanut Barrel’s patio to be packed full of customers, eating and chatting leisurely.

Sircher said he once waited to sit outside for 35 minutes. He said it was a long wait, but definitely worth it to enjoy the warm weather with an Oberon, one of his favorites.

Owner Joe Bell said the restaurant has a formula for figuring out how busy the patio will be. The standard is a sunny day with little to no wind, and it needs to be at least 50 degrees. Bell said for every degree the temperature goes up, the patio gets more popular. The best case scenario is 70 degrees, sunshine and no wind.

“People were cooped up all winter, they really want to be outside,” Bell said.

Bell said one of the most popular items ordered during warm weather is the pear salad, which is romaine lettuce combined with pears, cranberries, pecans, bacon and gorgonzola and drizzled with a balsamic poppyseed dressing. The salad is priced at $6.95 and, despite only being on the menu for three months, has been a best-seller.

Peppino’s Sports Grille

“We can tell people are itching to get out (on the patio).” — Andy Sawatzki, manager

Peppino’s, located at 213 Ann Street, is typically known for its pizzas. In the summertime, though, it’s a popular option for customers who want to enjoy their food outside.

Sawatzki said the patio has been open for three weeks, and already people have been taking advantage of it. He said the wait time is entirely dependent on the weather, but usually never exceeds 15-20 minutes.

In the summer, some of the most popular items on the menu are the margaritas and beers on tap. Sawatzki said he predicts the recently added mojitos will also be a popular option.

Happy Hour at Peppino’s is 3-6 p.m. Monday through Friday, and features domestic drafts for $2.75 and a dollar off all drafts.

HopCat

“Being outdoors with a cold brew is much more satisfying than a dark bar.” — Troy Villanueva, communication senior

HopCat, located at 300 Grove St., is a popular joint for beer-lovers, as the restaurant boasts a selection of 100 different craft beers, many of which were made in Michigan.

Villanueva said the beer selection is one of his favorite things about HopCat. He said he also likes the patio, although it’s a bit small.

Communications manager Chris Knapp said there’s a high demand for the patio right when it starts to warm up. Depending on the weather, sometimes the wait time can be as long as one hour.

“(The patio) is something people look forward to every year,” he said.

Knapp said the crack fries are the No. 1 selling item, regardless of the season. Crack fries, priced at $4.25, are beer-battered french fries served with a cracked black pepper house seasoning.

There’s also a popular burger and beer special that runs 4-6 p.m. Monday through Friday. Customers can get a $7 classic burger, an order of crack fries and a local 20 beer.

Weston’s Kewpee Burger Shoppe

“It’s local and family-owned and they have good food and fast service.” — Kyrie Elliott, MSU alumna

Kewpee, located at 118 S. Washington Square in Lansing, is known for its outstanding sandwiches and burgers.

Elliott said she typically orders the deluxe burger, which is a burger with lettuce, tomato and mayonnaise, and french fries.

Owner Autumn Weston said people definitely prefer to sit out on the patio when the weather is nice. The wait time varies with the weather, but she said the staff tries to keep it as low as possible.

Weston said the olive burger, which is a burger topped with lettuce and a homemade olive sauce, is a popular option for people dining on the patio.

“Who doesn’t want a burger on the patio?” she said.

The olive burger’s price varies from $2.59 to $5.79.

Share and discuss “Good Eats: Outdoor options for the increasingly warm weather” on social media.