East Lansing bars offer plenty of places to take in NCAA tournament games

<p>Students and alumni watch the men's basketball game against Ohio State Mar. 13, 2015, at Reno's Sports Bar, 1310 Abbot Rd. Reno's is a popular place for students and alumni who couldn't travel to Chicago to watch the Big Ten tournament to enjoy the game. Alice Kole/The State News</p>

Students and alumni watch the men's basketball game against Ohio State Mar. 13, 2015, at Reno's Sports Bar, 1310 Abbot Rd. Reno's is a popular place for students and alumni who couldn't travel to Chicago to watch the Big Ten tournament to enjoy the game. Alice Kole/The State News

Photo by Alice Kole | The State News

March Madness has just begun. In the next few weeks of games, East Lansing bars are sure to be packed in upcoming weekends.

But which bars are the best for an optimal viewing experience?

There’s always. General manager Aaron Weiner said they’re known as the best sports bar in town, and the atmosphere helps to make it the best bar for March Madness. 

“It’s a great place to be a Spartan fan, our crowds are ... very loud and rowdy,” Weiner said. “We’ll be able to show every game going on at the same time. ... Wherever you’re seated at, you’ll be able to see every game,” he said. 

As for other sports bars in East Lansing,  has 70 high-definition TVs and game specials during the weekend, including $4.99 select appetizers and $2 Bud Lights, manager Andy Sawatzki said. 

“The atmosphere’s really cool, the last few games we’ve had a lot of people in here, big groups ... a lot of go green, go white chants, that kind of thing, so it’s a pretty fun place to come watch the game,” Sawatzki said. 

If fans want to get away from the main thoroughfare of East Lansing bars, they can try Reno’s East Side Sports Bar & Grill

Reno’s has 68 beers on tap, and is known for their hurricanes and fishbowls, bar manager Karis Beaubier said. 

They also have several TVs lining the walls and beams, which makes them visible from almost anywhere, and two bars on either side of the main room. 

“It’s first and foremost a sports bar, so anytime a big sport, especially like MSU, we’ve got the volume going on for the game,” Beaubier said. “It’s just a fun ... great atmosphere ... (to) be and hang around with all your friends, especially during a game,” she said. 

Aside from the fun atmosphere created by March Madness, the bars managers said the event gives them plenty of business. 

“I know last year that we did really well ... we’ve been really busy for the first two tournament games,” Sawatzki said.

He said March Madness weekends are busier than normal weekends. 

“It get so much busier,” Beaubier said. “This place is pretty packed during March Madness, especially during a State game.” 

Weiner agrees the bar is packed during March Madness, especially the first two days, where he said it’s a tradition for people to skip class and work and come to Buffalo Wild Wings to watch basketball all day. 

March is a busy time for local bars, and this year is no differen

Share and discuss “East Lansing bars offer plenty of places to take in NCAA tournament games” on social media.