Marvin Clark Jr. beginning to show potential at the right time

<p>Freshman forward Marvin Clark Jr. and junior forward Matt Costello jump for a rebound Mar. 14, 2015, during the game against Maryland at the Big Ten Tournament at United Center in Chicago. The Spartans defeated the Terrapins, 62-58. Kelsey Feldpausch/The State News
</p>

Freshman forward Marvin Clark Jr. and junior forward Matt Costello jump for a rebound Mar. 14, 2015, during the game against Maryland at the Big Ten Tournament at United Center in Chicago. The Spartans defeated the Terrapins, 62-58. Kelsey Feldpausch/The State News

Photo by Kelsey Feldpausch | The State News

Chicago — Freshman forward Marvin Clark Jr. has had his share of ups and downs this season. But during the past week, he has emerged as a key cog in head coach Tom Izzo's rotation.

Clark's timidity has become a thing of the past, and his aggression both above and underneath the rim helped spark MSU to a 62-58 win over No. 8 Maryland on Saturday to advance to the Big Ten championship round against Wisconsin. 

"I think he’s confident right now," senior guard Travis Trice said. "I think he’s at an all-time high with the way he’s been playing. It’s just his confidence. He’s really starting to come into his own. He’s trusting his shot, trusting his decision making, and he’s being aggressive."

Clark started over senior forward Branden Dawson against Wisconsin two weeks ago and looked shell-shocked. In the four games since, the freshman forward has played more like Dawson, taking the ball in for authoritative dunks and corralling rebounds away from opposing players.

“Yeah I think what Marv is, he gives us the ability to get some rebounds, he’s a great athlete, he’s got strength and he’s a threat to shoot the ball, you know?" Izzo said. "So he gives us a little bit more of that spacing 4. And he didn’t shoot it great tonight but the dunk felt good. So if you can just keep dunking, I’m happy.”

Clark's relationship with Dawson, who has taken the freshman wing under his wing, is one reason for Marvin's transformation. 

Izzo said Clark's energy ignited Dawson in the second half against Maryland. The student showed the teacher how it's done.

"There is one area that I give B.J. a lot of credit," Izzo said. "Branden took him under his wing. Branden has done a lot for Marvin. That lift Marv gave us and then B.J. came right in and followed it up I thought was a special moment."

Clark has also been helped by freshman guard Lourawls "Tum Tum" Nairn, his former teammate at Sunrise Christian Academy in Bel Aire, Kansas.

The relationship between the freshman pair has helped both players grow and mature this season. Nairn, the first freshman guard to start a Big Ten tournament game for MSU since Kalin Lucas in 2008, has been just as important to MSU's late season push.

"Tum has kind of taken Marv under his wing for two years, the school they were at," Izzo said.  "So I think he always is his best supporter, his best fan. It’s kind of cool, a Morris Peterson Mateen Cleaves relationship. 

"I think the one thing Tum is realizing, he’s got to push Marv harder. Last couple weeks he has and we’re getting a lot better Marvin Clark.”

Share and discuss “Marvin Clark Jr. beginning to show potential at the right time” on social media.