MSU business students reach milestone in application process to Eli Broad College of Business

Last Friday marked a significant event in the application process for MSU business students applying to the Eli Broad College of Business

The students completed their case studies, where they were required to analyze a hypothetical situation and record a response with a solution to the task at hand. 

The case study accompanies an experiential profile as the non-academic factors considered for an application in addition to academic factors. Economics sophomore Ryan Roy felt that the process has been fair so far.

“It’s not bad, it has gotten way more competitive so I know it’s getting harder. But so far it’s not that bad,” he said. 

For the majority of students, applying takes place at the end of their sophomore year and the status of their admission is announced shortly after. 

Any freshman or sophomore on the outside looking in can appreciate the anxiety and stress that comes along with waiting two years until they know if they will be accepted into the college.

It’s certainly easy to get caught up in the rumors about what is going to enhance an application, which can result in confusion.

That’s the opinion of supply chain management sophomore Dylan Kaulfuss, who said he felt that there could be more outright information about what’s important in the process. 

“It’s kind of like blurred lines, it’s all a bunch of ‘he said’ ‘she said’ about ‘this is really important as opposed to that,’ like a cumulative versus business core (GPA),” Kaulfuss said. 

Roy said that with the competitive nature of the application, that many students would have a major in fields such as advertising and economics as their backup plan. 

Once in, students will divide into their respective programs, those being accounting and information systems, finance, marketing, management, supply chain management and hospitality business. 

Some might criticize the fact that students have to wait halfway through their college career to find out their fate when applying, but supply chain management sophomore Chris Akinin has a different view. 

“I think it’s a good timing, because it lets you get everything under you and at this point you’re finally deciding your major and you have a better idea of what your major is going to be,” Akinin said.

“If they made people apply at the end of their freshman year for the business college and lowered the credit requirement, then people might just be getting in and leaving because they’re not too certain because they don’t have an idea of really what they want to do.”

Share and discuss “MSU business students reach milestone in application process to Eli Broad College of Business” on social media.