First Christian brotherhood inducted at MSU last week

Beta Upsilon Chi was founded at the University of Texas in 1985 when a group of Christian men decided they wanted an alternative to the present fraternal lifestyle.

The same desire lives on in the newly formed Alpha Pi chapter at MSU.

General management senior and president of the founding father class Devin Petricca was the first to initiate bringing Beta Upsilon Chi to campus.

“The ideals that Beta Upsilon Chi is committed to were well-aligned with ideals that I wanted to bring to life at MSU,” Petricca said.

He said there are a few concepts that are important to not just who they are, but what they are about. One of these is helping each other emulate him in their everyday lives.

“I just wanted there to be an outlet in which guys could come together and live their lives in a way that honors Jesus Christ,” Petricca said.

A second concept that Petricca said is vital to Beta Upsilon Chi is evangelism.

They don’t aim to simply grow internally, but to reach out to campus, especially areas of campus that aren’t normally reached.

He said a third purpose of Beta Upsilon Chi is to allow incoming students to participate in a fraternity, but to do so in way that honors God.

“Life in Christ is called to be abundant,” Petricca said. “There’s no reason why we can’t have a good time, go to a party, bring people together and laugh, and be in fellowship.”

Prenursing sophomore Jordan Kassis said he hadn’t initially considered joining a fraternity when coming to MSU, but the idea of a Christian fraternity made him consider the idea.

“I agreed with the ideals and values of Beta Upsilon Chi, and the concept of brotherhood with men who held those same ideals convinced me to get involved,” Kassis said.

Kassis said he considers being a founding father an honor.

“I don’t know just how this fraternity is going to grow in the future,” Kassis said. “But I trust that we’re doing something that’s much bigger than any one of us, that can impact so many people on campus and off.”

He said that while growing up in a Christian home he has always valued his faith, and he is excited to be part of a group that also understands its importance.

“I know having these guys by my side will keep me encouraged and focused on what matters,” Kassis said.

Criminal justice freshman Jeffrey Mills said he’s been a Christian for about five years and feels as though his faith has been strongest when in a community of other believers.

“I find myself growing around these other guys who are Christians, who can help me be accountable and help me learn more,” Mills said.

Mills said he and his pledge brothers are setting the stage for years to come.

He said it’s important to them to set a good example.

“Things might change when we’re gone, but brothers in the future will remember what happened this first year,” Mills said.

Share and discuss “First Christian brotherhood inducted at MSU last week” on social media.