Aerial Powers records 1,000 career point in win over PSU

<p>Sophomore guard Aerial Powers dribbles the ball Feb 5, 2015, during the game against Michigan at Breslin Center. The Spartans were defeated by the Wolverines, 72-59. Kennedy Thatch/The State News</p>

Sophomore guard Aerial Powers dribbles the ball Feb 5, 2015, during the game against Michigan at Breslin Center. The Spartans were defeated by the Wolverines, 72-59. Kennedy Thatch/The State News

Photo by Kennedy Thatch | The State News

Two important events occurred on Wednesday night with 9:27 left on the clock in the second half.

Standing at the free throw line as the screams from the home crowd in Happy Valley echoed throughout the arena, Aerial Powers drained her first free throw after taking a foul from Penn State's Kaliyah Mitchell. 

Despite having her second charity shot failing to fall through the net, the lone point was good enough for the Detroit native to break the tie en route to MSU snapping their three-game losing streak while also recording her 1,000 career point.

Finishing the evening with 26 total points while also grabbing nine rebounds and two assists, Powers is now the second player this season to reach the milestone, as Becca Mills surpassed the 1,000 point mark last Wednesday at home against the Michigan Wolverines. 

The 26 recorded points also gives Powers 564 points on the season, jumping her to second on the MSU all-time single-season scoring list. 

She needs just 34-points to surpass Liz Shimek, who spent two seasons in the WNBA with the Chicago Sky and with the Spartans from 2002-06, to break the scoring record team record. 

Share and discuss “Aerial Powers records 1,000 career point in win over PSU” on social media.