Denzel Valentine learning to stay out of foul trouble

<p>Junior guard Denzel Valentine guards Ohio State forward Sam Thompson Feb. 14, 2015, during the game against Ohio State at Breslin Center. The Spartans defeated the Buckeyes, 59-56. Erin Hampton/The State News</p>

Junior guard Denzel Valentine guards Ohio State forward Sam Thompson Feb. 14, 2015, during the game against Ohio State at Breslin Center. The Spartans defeated the Buckeyes, 59-56. Erin Hampton/The State News

Photo by Hannah Levy | The State News

Junior guard Denzel Valentine has been MSU's most improved player this season. An accurate shooter, capable defender and ball handler, MSU's best basketball typically coincides when the junior guard is locked in. 

Inversely, MSU's offense has a tendency to stall when Valentine is on the bench. And Valentine has struggled with foul trouble in several key games this year, most recently against No. 24 Ohio State last Saturday. The junior guard took a seat on the bench early in the second half after picking up his third foul. 

The Buckeyes proceeded to go on a run, turning a 33-24 halftime deficit into a 49-47 lead with 5:22 to play. 

“Smartest player I have on this team is Valentine," Izzo said during his press conference on Monday. "And some of the more unwise fouls that we’ve had this year are his."

The foul was Valentine's last of the game, but the result was clear — Valentine has to learn to avoid "throw-away fouls" to give the Spartans their best shot at victory.

"Like there is one he showed me on film where he didn’t think he fouled him at all but I’m watching from the bench and I’m calling the foul," Izzo said. "It’s the one underneath that got him his third. I say you just can’t put yourself in that position."

Valentine's foul trouble prevented him from defending standout freshman guard D'Angelo Russell at the beginning of the game, with Izzo giving the assignment to freshman guard Lourawls Nairn instead. 

"(Valentine) begged me to start himself on Russell, which I really loved," Izzo said. "He wants to take those challenges the only reason I didn’t is because of that exact reason.”

Valentine showed progress on Saturday by making his third foul his last. MSU's season could ride on Valentine making continued progress on the defensive end. 

"I try to the best I can, but I just get a little too aggressive at times, especially on the defensive end," Valentine said. "I just got to find that fine line between being too aggressive and being aggressive. Just watching film and listening to coach and feeling the game out I should be able to figure it out."

Share and discuss “Denzel Valentine learning to stay out of foul trouble” on social media.