'The Vagina Monologues' takes over campus with a flash mob

<p>Media and information senior Laura Swanson smiles as she dances in a flash mob with fellow cast members of "The Vagina Monologues" Feb. 14, 2015, at the MSU Union. The cast said they will preform the play Feb. 27 and Feb. 28. at Wharton Center. Kelsey Feldpausch/The State News</p>

Media and information senior Laura Swanson smiles as she dances in a flash mob with fellow cast members of "The Vagina Monologues" Feb. 14, 2015, at the MSU Union. The cast said they will preform the play Feb. 27 and Feb. 28. at Wharton Center. Kelsey Feldpausch/The State News

Photo by Kelsey Feldpausch | The State News

Suddenly, upbeat pop music started playing and shattered the calm atmosphere, causing everyone to look up from their work.

Six women, each donning a black shirt that read “The Vagina Monologues,” formed a line and began dancing in synchronization to the music.

Halfway through the dance, media and information senior Laura Swanson, director of the event, began handing out fliers advertising MSU’s production of “The Vagina Monologues” to the people watching.

“The Vagina Monologues” is put on every year at MSU. It highlights various issues women face, such as sexual harassment, through monologues told by women who have experienced those things themselves.

Naperville, Illinois, resident Christine Graf, who was visiting MSU for the campus tour and presentation for prospective students, said she thought the flash mob was well done.

“I thought it was interesting, when I first saw one girl arrive I was looking at her T-shirt and trying to see what it said and I wasn’t sure what it was about, but I had a feeling it had something to do with some power women movement,” she said. “Then I saw some more girls arriving and then they were getting ready to do their dance and so I was watching it and I thought it was great.”

Graf said she would love to see MSU’s production of “The Vagina Monologues,” but won’t be able to because she lives in Illinois.

Regardless, she said she thought the flash mob was a great way to promote the play.

This flash mob was more than just a promotional event, though.

Swanson said the flash mob was part of a global movement, known as One Billion Rising, that aims to end violence against women.

“This event happens where people dance or rise or strike in some kind of fashion for this movement,” she said.

Before the flash mob, theatre freshman Katelyn Hodge said she was feeling a little nervous about the event.

“I’ll be nervous once we walk out and the music starts and, oh, my God, I’ve never done a flash mob before,” she said. “But I think once we get into it, it’s just kind of like you get into that mindset.”

English sophomore Miranda Madro said Swanson had devoted a lot of time before and after “The Vagina Monologues” rehearsals to teaching the dance to everyone, which helped her get the hang of it.

Swanson said she felt passionate about the event, so dedicating a lot of time to it wasn’t an issue.

She said her passion stems from the issue the event raises awareness for: violence against women.

“Everyone is affected by violence against women. It’s a universal problem,” she said. “I think it’s really important for people to take a stand against it, especially those people who believe in equality for women. I think that the only way we can do that is having more events and more promotional aspects to get people in this called to action.”

Share and discuss “'The Vagina Monologues' takes over campus with a flash mob” on social media.