Cornerback Trae Waynes shows first round capabilities at NFL combine

<p>Junior cornerback Trae Waynes walks during football practice April 8, 2014, at the practice field outside Duffy Daugherty Football Building. Julia Nagy/The State News</p>

Junior cornerback Trae Waynes walks during football practice April 8, 2014, at the practice field outside Duffy Daugherty Football Building. Julia Nagy/The State News

Photo by Julia Nagy | The State News

The MSU football team is coming off another Top-5 finish and major bowl win. Now some of the players that helped put the Spartans in that position are making noise at the NFL combine.

The Big Ten often gets a rep for having slower, big body type athletes but there are several former Spartans dismissing that conception in Indianapolis.

Cornerback Trae Waynes is looking to be the second consecutive MSU corner taken in the first round of the NFL draft in as many years, as many know former Spartan Darqueze Dennard was the 24th overall pick last season. Waynes has a chance to be the higher selection of the two as he has been projected anywhere from a top-10 pick to lower-end first round selection.

Waynes certainly helped his case to be a high selection with an excellent performance at the combine. Waynes earned the fastest time in the 40-yard dash amongst other corners with a 4.31, good enough for second overall at the combine, second to only Alabama at Birmingham wide receiver J.J. Nelson who ran a 4.28. Waynes also shined on the bench press event, finishing with the fourth best total amongst corners with 19 reps. Waynes had the sixth highest vertical jump amongst corners with a 38.0 inch leap.

Head coach Mark Dantonio was in attendance at the combine and after Wayne's first 40-yard dash run the cameras panned to the coach flashing a huge smile.

Running back Jeremy Langford also put on an impressive showing of speed as well earning the fastest time amongst running backs at the combine. Langford certainly improved his stock with his 4.42 in the 40-yard dash, the second closest time to Langford was Florida State running back Karlos Williams. Langford also had the 14th highest broad jump with a 9'10"

Waynes and Langford are two of six Spartans in the combine—saftey Kurtis Drummond, linebacker Taiwan Jones, wide receiver Tony Lippett and wide receiver Keith Mumphery. The NFL draft is set to take place Thursday, April. 30 through Saturday, May. 2. MSU will also have its pro day soon which hasn't been announced yet but in 2014 it was on March. 11. 

Share and discuss “Cornerback Trae Waynes shows first round capabilities at NFL combine” on social media.