Freshman's charity comedy show sells out

<p>Advertising freshman Sam Silverstein performs at his comedy show on Feb. 4, 2015, for Mott Children's Hospital's charity event Laughter is the Cure to Life held in the MSU Business College Complex, 632 Bogue Street in East Lansing. Silverstein performed comedy for the first time during his high school talent show and his love for performance and the spotlight led him to continue performing at MSU. Emily Nagle/The State News</p>

Advertising freshman Sam Silverstein performs at his comedy show on Feb. 4, 2015, for Mott Children's Hospital's charity event Laughter is the Cure to Life held in the MSU Business College Complex, 632 Bogue Street in East Lansing. Silverstein performed comedy for the first time during his high school talent show and his love for performance and the spotlight led him to continue performing at MSU. Emily Nagle/The State News

Photo by Emily Nagle | The State News

ASMSU, MSU’s undergraduate student government, and the lead organizer, advertising freshman Sam Silverstein, sold out a more than 600-person auditorium Wednesday night in the Business College Complex for their comedy show to benefit C.S. Mott Children’s hospital in Ann Arbor.

“It was amazing seeing (Silverstein) up there in front of everyone, he was funnier than I expected and it was a great show,” communication junior Ben Sofferin said.

The comedy show’s proceeds are going to be donated to the C.S. Mott Children’s Hospital’s Child and Family Life services program, which provides for things like toys, music and technology to better a child’s stay at the hospital.

ASMSU and Silverstein’s group of organizers raised more than $1,700 for the hospital that night, after selling every ticket. Silverstein said he expects they likely raised about $2,000 after last-minute donations.

ASMSU sponsored the comedy show and reserved the auditorium space as well as printed tickets and marketed in tandem with Silverstein.

“Our goal is always to help students and especially students as talented as Sam who really have a goal and want to achieve something,” ASMSU Chief of Staff Kiran Samra said.

But the show was just the start for Silverstein and his organizers. They plan to expand the show to more cities in Michigan to help more organizations in need.

“To us this is just the beginning, this is the first step. People think this is the pinnacle, but we plan to change shows, change scripts, make people laugh and raise money,” Silverstein said.

Share and discuss “Freshman's charity comedy show sells out” on social media.