Branden Dawson and Travis Trice triumph over Michigan in Ann Arbor for first time in careers

<p>Senior guard/forward Branden Dawson scores a goal Feb. 17, 2015, during the game against Michigan at Crisler Center in Ann Arbor. The Spartans are leading against the Wolverines at halftime, 38-23. Emily Nagle/The State News</p>

Senior guard/forward Branden Dawson scores a goal Feb. 17, 2015, during the game against Michigan at Crisler Center in Ann Arbor. The Spartans are leading against the Wolverines at halftime, 38-23. Emily Nagle/The State News

Photo by Emily Nagle | The State News

The senior duo of Travis Trice and Branden Dawson combined for 55 points against Michigan on Tuesday night. With the Spartans in the thick of the NCAA Tournament hunt, it makes sense that the seniors would post such numbers in a win. But the veteran pair had a little extra motivation for the game.

MSU hadn't won a game in Ann Arbor since 2010, and Dawson, Valentine and senior guard Keenan Wetzel didn't want to graduate MSU without a victory in Crisler Center. So when Trice let out a huge roar after hitting his third triple of the first half, it was a little personal.

"It was big for all three of us, being here four years and not getting a win here," Trice said. "We knew this was our last change coming in so it just added to the rivalry."

Trice and Dawson were "phenomenal," in Izzo's words, against the Wolverines Tuesday, defeating the in-state rival 80-67. Dawson had 23 points, 13 rebounds and four assists, and Trice added 22 points and seven assists.

Izzo said the performances can be partially chalked up to it being almost tournament time, but for the most part, Izzo believes Trice and Dawson really wanted to get at win at Ann Arbor.

"I think for those two guys, winning here was a big deal," Izzo said. "We’ve had a couple very tough losses here if you remember."

The win meant a lot to Dawson, who missed last year's regular season loss with a broken hand.

"Like I said, last year we sat there when they beat us twice. It hurt, …. so getting this win tonight feels great for us, this program and for the seniors," Dawson said.

Dawson got his ninth double-double in 13 Big Ten games. Trice said when Dawson is zoned in, MSU becomes a different team.

"There’s really nothing he can’t do out there," Trice said. "When he plays like that we’re a totally different team. He was controlling the boards. He only had three at halftime, I don’t know how many minutes he played. When he gets out on the break it’s easy, you just throw it at the rim, he gets it. When he plays like that, we’re a hard team to beat."

Trice had his third consecutive good game after being moved to the bench in favor of freshman guard Lourawls "Tum Tum" Nairn. Junior guard Denzel Valentine said that by coming off the bench, Trice is able to spend time at both guard spots, which plays to his strengths.

"Travis is playing more of his natural position right now," Valentine said. "Playing the point sometimes but also being able to play the two for us sometimes. Glad he had a big night for us."

Share and discuss “Branden Dawson and Travis Trice triumph over Michigan in Ann Arbor for first time in careers” on social media.