Following loss to U-M women's basketball prepares to face Penn State

<p>Head coach Suzy Merchant reacts to a call Feb 5, 2015, during the game against Michigan at Breslin Center. The Spartans were defeated by the Wolverines, 72-59. Kennedy Thatch/The State News</p>

Head coach Suzy Merchant reacts to a call Feb 5, 2015, during the game against Michigan at Breslin Center. The Spartans were defeated by the Wolverines, 72-59. Kennedy Thatch/The State News

Photo by Kennedy Thatch | The State News

Merchant was not able to offer much in the way of an opening statement and instead jumped right into questions.

A sense of frustration and feeling conquered dwelled upon her that couldn’t be overlooked as the veteran head coach went further into detail on what everyone else, fans and media members a like, have been thinking this season.

A lack of depth due to an horrendous amount of injuries and a lack of contribution from a majority of the eight players that Merchant is down to is the dark cloud that hangs over the head of the women’s basketball team.

Even while being equipped with two of the top five players in scoring in the Big Ten with Aerial Powers (No. 2) and Tori Jankoska (No. 5), Merchant made the comment that she still has to send out five players to the floor, but it doesn’t mean much when the other three aren’t providing a legitimate threat.

"We have got to get more people to make some shots," Merchant said. "People are just double teaming Aerial and Tori every time they get the ball. But you have to put five people out there."

And even when a player outside of those two breaks out of her shell and drops a career-high in points isn’t enough for the Spartans to earn a victory.

Freshman guard/ forward Lexi Gussert posted 16 of her 20-points in the first half en route to a 86-79 defeat against Minnesota in Minneapolis. The trio combined for 72-points on Monday, the only three who recorded more than four-points.

Currently riding a three-game losing streak beginning Feb. 2, their second longest run without a victory this season, the Spartans are tied with Penn State for last place in the conference with five game remaining in the regular season. Both teams face each other in State College, Pennsylvania Wednesday.

What’s at stake for both programs? Credibility.

Also, a decrease in the likelihood of not having Maryland standing in their way in the first round of the Big Ten tournament in the beginning of March, who is undefeated (12-0) in conference play.

Earning a much needed win to gain ground in the standings can done if the Spartans slow down the offensive machine that is Lindsey Spann.

Spann, the redshirt freshman, leads the team in total points (346), field goals (5.6) and three-pointers (1.4) made per game. Her 15-points per game is good for 15th best in the Big Ten, the highest of any player for the Nittany Lions.

Share and discuss “Following loss to U-M women's basketball prepares to face Penn State” on social media.