Men's hockey drops outdoor game to U-M 4-1

<p>Sophomore forward Thomas Ebbing fights past sophomore defenseman Michael Downing Feb. 7, 2015 during the Michigan State hockey game against Michigan at Soldier Field in Chicago, Illinois.  The Spartans were defeated by the Wolverines 4-1 during the Coyote Logistics Hockey City Classic. Alice Kole/The State News</p>

Sophomore forward Thomas Ebbing fights past sophomore defenseman Michael Downing Feb. 7, 2015 during the Michigan State hockey game against Michigan at Soldier Field in Chicago, Illinois. The Spartans were defeated by the Wolverines 4-1 during the Coyote Logistics Hockey City Classic. Alice Kole/The State News

Photo by Alice Kole | The State News

Outdoor hockey games always come with unknown variables and on Saturday night, U-M (16-8, 8-2 Big Ten) handled the elements much better than MSU (10-12-2, 4-4-2-2 Big Ten). The Wolverines scored just 1:43 into the game and never looked back on their way to a 4-1 victory over the Spartans at Soldier Field in Chicago. Junior goaltender Jake Hildebrand made 33 saves while allowing three goals and junior forward Matt DeBlouw scored the lone goal for MSU. 

In balmy 40 degree weather and with the sun beaming down on the ice, the Hockey City Classic was delayed one hour and 40 minutes. With MSU and UM getting the second slate of the double-header - Miami (Ohio) defeated Western Michigan 4-3 in the 1st game - the rink conditions were not ideal. Head coach Tom Anastos was not going to use that as an excuse for MSU's performance, however. 

"Both teams played in those conditions," Anastos said. "It's outdoor hockey. The puck was bouncing all night and so you have to play a very simplistic game. We talked about it all week to prepare for it and I thought they executed it better than we did.

"They did a good job of getting into the dangerous areas and creating pressure, and ultimately scoring enough to create a win for them."

Even the players were not buying in to the excuses following the game. While junior captain Michael Ferrantino admitted the ice was a little soft, he was still pleased with the playing conditions.

"The ice was actually better than we thought it was going to be," Ferrantino said. "I don't think it was too much of a factor."

U-M's first two goals of the game came from relatively innocent looking shots. That wasn't the story though, as Hildebrand was screened on both goals and could not pick up the shots until they were in the back of the net.

"I was trying to look around and I couldn't find the puck," Hildebrand said of the two goals. "They were throwing pucks at the net and getting bodies to the net, it makes a goalie's job pretty tough."

When the Spartans return home to East Lansing, they will be sure to have a sour taste left from this weekend. It is never easy to lose to a rival, and it does not help when it is on a stage as big as an outdoor game at Soldier Field. Nevertheless, it will be an experience that they will never forget and that alone is reason enough to play in these games. 

"In the end, losing sucks," Anastos said. "But you take away the experience for the kids. We do this for the players more than anything else...Unfortunately it's a loss, but they'll have a very meaningful experience the rest of their lives.

"Playing against [U-M] counts the same, but it means more. There are more Michigan State eyes watching this game than any other game we play, so I'd be lying if I said it's the same. We can go fishing and it would be the same."

Share and discuss “Men's hockey drops outdoor game to U-M 4-1” on social media.