Men's basketball ready for rematch with Illinois

<p>Junior guard Denzel Valentine maneuvers around Illinois guard Malcolm Hill Feb. 7, 2015, during the game at Breslin Center. The Spartans were defeated by the Fighting Illini, 59-54. Erin Hampton/The State News</p>

Junior guard Denzel Valentine maneuvers around Illinois guard Malcolm Hill Feb. 7, 2015, during the game at Breslin Center. The Spartans were defeated by the Fighting Illini, 59-54. Erin Hampton/The State News

Photo by Erin Hampton | The State News

Three weeks ago, the men's basketball team hit rock bottom, suffering perhaps its worst loss of Big Ten season against Illinois at Breslin Center. The Spartan team that has emerged following that loss has been a completely different one, and they will have an opportunity to redeem themselves on Sunday.

Winners of three straight, MSU (18-8 overall, 9-4 Big Ten) will look for revenge against the Fighting Illini (18-8, 7-6) on the road Sunday.

The Spartans have followed the loss against Illinois with a dominant win against Northwestern, a close victory against then-No. 23 Ohio State and, most recently, a dismantling of Michigan in Ann Arbor.

MSU is playing its most confident ball of the season. Senior forward Branden Dawson said the loss to Illinois was a turning point.

"Right now, we’re playing better as a team," Dawson said. "We should’ve been playing this way at the beginning, but it takes time. We’re Michigan State, we’re always going to make a run. A lot of people count us out … I think we have our group back. We’re starting to find ourselves."

The Fighting Illini outmuscled the Spartans on Feb. 7, using their length on the perimeter to give MSU fits. Junior guard Denzel Valentine, senior guard Travis Trice and junior guard Bryn Forbes each shot less than 40 percent from the field.

“I thought they did, I thought they did," head coach Tom Izzo said when asked if Illinois gave it to the Spartans physically. "I thought they were a little more physical and that was, that’s their nature, they have good athletes, they have strong players. And I think that’s something we’re gonna have to be more ready for.”

Illinois defeated the Spartans without senior guard and leading scorer Rayvonte Rice, who returned from suspension last week against U-M. Rice being back in the lineup will only make things more difficult for the Spartans.

Valentine describes Illinois as an "energy team," and facing them at State Farm Center is no easy task. The Fighting Illini are 12-1 at home this season, one of the best marks in the conference.

The Spartans are rolling at the right time, and Izzo said MSU are anxious to go to Illinois and even the score on Sunday.

"When you come in and people come into your own place and beat you, it doesn’t happen here a ton, so I’d say we’re looking forward to going down there," Izzo said.

Share and discuss “Men's basketball ready for rematch with Illinois” on social media.