Women's basketball falls to 11-13 with loss to Minnesota

<p>Freshman guard/forward Lexi Gussert dives for the ball over Michigan guard Shannon Smith Feb 5, 2015, during the game at Breslin Center. The Spartans were defeated by the Wolverines, 72-59. Kennedy Thatch/The State News</p>

Freshman guard/forward Lexi Gussert dives for the ball over Michigan guard Shannon Smith Feb 5, 2015, during the game at Breslin Center. The Spartans were defeated by the Wolverines, 72-59. Kennedy Thatch/The State News

Photo by Kennedy Thatch | The State News

The Spartans saw a major contribution from a player outside of Aerial Powers and Tori Jankoska, two of the top five leading scorers in the Big Ten. 

Lexi Gussert, who got the start in replacement of Anna Morrissey Sunday against Minnesota, recorded a career-high 20-points, 16 of which came in the first half. 

The freshman was responsible for the first 13-points of the afternoon for MSU (11-13, 3-10 Big Ten) before Kennedy Johnson's jumper botched the streak at the 12-minute mark. 

Gussert's electrifying performance was good enough for the Spartans to go up as high as 10 midway through the first half, but a resurgent effort by the Golden Gophers extends MSU's losing streak on the road to six straight games, falling short at Williams Arena, 86-79. 

Powers, the redshirt sophomore from Detroit, fell short of reaching her 20th straight double-double game, recording a team-high 31-points while also grabbing nine rebounds in the process. 

Jankoska followed suit with 21-points and eight rebounds. The trio were the only players from MSU who scored more than four-points. 

Already dealing with a depleting roster and a lack of depth, foul trouble continued to be an issue for the Spartans, as both Gussert and Johnson went to the bench after reaching the maximum allowed, forcing head coach Suzy Merchant to throw out a team of five for a better part of the second half. 

Freshman Carlie Wagner was the hero for Minnesota (18-6, 7-5 Big Ten), who marked the end of their two game losing streak against the green and white. Wagner posted five triples from beyond the arc while shooting 57% from the floor for a total of 25-points. Amanda Zahui also finished with 18-points and 10 total boards. 

Looking to avenge the weekend defeat and put an end to the three-game losing streak, MSU will head to Happy Valley on Wednesday to do battle with Penn State, who is currently at the bottom of the conference standings as the regular-season nears to a close.   

Share and discuss “Women's basketball falls to 11-13 with loss to Minnesota” on social media.