Spartans let 3-0 first period lead slip away as they fall to Minnesota 5-3

<p>Junior forward Ryan Keller takes the puck down the ice during the game against Michigan on Dec. 29, 2014, during the 50th Great Lakes Invitational at Joe Louis Arena in Detroit. The Spartans were defeated by the Wolverines, 2-1. Danyelle Morrow/The State News</p>

Junior forward Ryan Keller takes the puck down the ice during the game against Michigan on Dec. 29, 2014, during the 50th Great Lakes Invitational at Joe Louis Arena in Detroit. The Spartans were defeated by the Wolverines, 2-1. Danyelle Morrow/The State News

Photo by Danyelle Morrow | The State News

MSU hockey (13-14-2, 7-6-2-2 Big Ten) let a golden opportunity slip away Thursday night against No. 14 Minnesota (18-10-3, 9-3-3-0 Big Ten). The Spartans built a 3-0 lead in the first period just to watch Minnesota score five unanswered goals to win 5-3 and remain at the top of the Big Ten standings. Had MSU won, it would have been sitting all alone in first place in the conference.

Sophomore forward Joe Cox scored two first period goals to help momentarily silence the crowd at Mariucci Arena. Senior forward Brent Darnell scored his seventh goal of the season in the loss.

Junior goaltender Jake Hildebrand made 37 saves in his 14th loss of the season.

MSU struck early and often against Minnesota. Cox scored four seconds into the Spartans first power play just 1:25 into the game. After a faceoff win from junior captain Michael Ferrantino, Cox dragged the puck along the blue line and let go a wrist shot that beat Gophers’ goaltender Nick Lehr low to the blocker side.

Darnell gave the Spartans a 2-0 lead 9:21 into the first period. Following an inside-out move just outside the faceoff circle, Darnell was able to open up Lehr’s pads to beat him through the five hole.

Just 1:13 after Darnell’s goal, Cox netted his second of the period and fifth of the season. Off a pass from junior forward Ryan Keller, Cox skated behind the net with speed and converted on a wraparound attempt that bounced off Lehr’s right skate.

With three goals on four shots, MSU would have been ecstatic to end the period as it was. Unfortunately for the Spartans, Minnesota’s Travis Boyd was able to score with 1:39 left in the first period.

Things got even more daunting for MSU in the second period as the Gophers scored two goals in the opening 7:11. Mike Reilly scored from behind the goal line off a shot that deflected off a sprawling Hildebrand’s shoulder.

The Gophers’ nation-leading power play shined for the remainder of the second period. Hudson Fasching tied the game 7:11 into the second period as he drove the net and batted in a loose puck.

It was Sam Warning’s turn after that, as he tipped in a power play goal with just 1:30 remaining in the period to make it four unanswered goals for the Gophers.

The Spartans generated some pressure in the third period, but Lehr bounced back after a rough start to maintain the Gophers’ lead.

Warning added an empty net goal with 1.2 seconds remaining. The Gophers outshot MSU 42-24.

Share and discuss “Spartans let 3-0 first period lead slip away as they fall to Minnesota 5-3” on social media.