Matt Costello steps up for Spartans in win over Michigan

<p>Junior forward Matt Costello looks to pass past Michigan forward Ricky Doyle Feb. 2, 2015, during the game against Michigan at Breslin Center. The Spartans defeated the Wolverines in overtime, 76-66. Alice Kole/The State News</p>

Junior forward Matt Costello looks to pass past Michigan forward Ricky Doyle Feb. 2, 2015, during the game against Michigan at Breslin Center. The Spartans defeated the Wolverines in overtime, 76-66. Alice Kole/The State News

Photo by Alice Kole | The State News

Junior guard Denzel Valentine isn't accustomed to junior forward Matt Costello hyping his teammates up before games. So when Costello gave Valentine a chest bump with an intense look on his face before taking on Michigan on Sunday, Valentine knew Costello was on a mission.

"I'd never seen the look that he gave me before the game," Valentine said. "He gave it to me and kinda pushed me and I'm like 'hey Matt!' I've never seen that look from him and I said 'dang, he's ready to play.' And he showed it, so I'm holding him accountable for now on."

Costello was huge for the Spartans (15-7 overall, 6-3 Big Ten) in overtime against U-M Sunday, posting four points, three rebounds and a block in the final five minutes to help MSU defeat the Wolverines 76-66 at Breslin Center.

After sophomore forward Gavin Schilling fouled out with 53 seconds left in the second half, it was down to Costello to provide MSU with defense and rebounding. And that he did, with his block on Michigan sophomore guard/forward Zak Irvin's 3-point attempt with 1:03 left in overtime being a highlight.

"Matt struggled," men's basketball head coach Tom Izzo said. "He struggled on ball screens. And yet, made some unbelievable plays down the stretch. The blocked shots, the block on Irvin, a guy who can go around him."

For the game, Costello had 10 points, seven rebounds and four blocks.

After the game, Costello said he keeps a running tally of his personal record against the in-state rival. Down 2-3 in the series, he wanted to even the score.

"It's Michigan, man," Costello said. "We were down 2-3, (Valentine) and I. We were down 2-3 in the series. It's Michigan, I don't want to lose to Michigan. It's the rival school. Every Spartan wants to leave here with a winning record. I'm tied up now, so going to Ann Arbor, gotta make it 4-3."

Costello described "the look," as Valentine described it, as a look of intensity. He admitted he is far from the loudest guy on the team, but he couldn't afford to lose another game against the Wolverines.

MSU hasn't been able to get its key guys going at the same time this season. On Sunday, Valentine picked up slack from senior guard Travis Trice, who had nine assists but was bothered by a rib injury.

Izzo said Costello stepping up was a huge factor in the win.

"Matt bounces back, gets some free throws and makes some big plays, dominating," Izzo said. "We need to see that more often."

Share and discuss “Matt Costello steps up for Spartans in win over Michigan” on social media.