Women's basketball upsets Rutgers 70-60

Tears were shed and standing ovations were received before the opening possession occurred on Sunday. 

Battling with  ACL tears on both of her knees, redshirt senior Madison Williams has spent the entirety of this season sitting on the bench, cheering for her teammates day in and day out. 

But on the final home game of the year for the Spartans, Williams would get the nod from head coach Suzy Merchant to be slotted into the starting lineup. 

Having her name called by the public address announcer brought the crowd to their feet in support of Williams, one of five seniors honored at the Breslin Center on Senior Day, a day that would see an MSU upset of No. 19 Rutgers 60-50.

Despite losing the opening tip off and being immediately taken out by freshman Lexi Gussert, it was the one shining moment that Williams deserved after not seeing the court all season. 

Still searching for that first quality win since their Dec. 21 victory against then No. 22 ranked Syracuse, first-year Big Ten participant and No. 19 Rutgers stood in the way of MSU finishing their final home stand with a win. 

Almost knocking off No. 5 ranked Maryland at home this past Monday, the Spartans would capitalize on scoring opportunities and not letting Rutgers to gain ground late in the second half to come away with a 60-50 upset.  

The Spartans stormed out right of the gates with a head of steam by garnering their largest lead in the first half of eight at the 10:50 mark, following sophomore Tori Jankoska's second converted three-pointer. 

Leading in the points column for almost 18-minutes in the first half, Rutgers would cut the deficit to as low as one following Syessence Davis' wide opened triple at the top of the arc. MSU would later go on an 9-2 run to give them an 17-9 advantage. 

Jankoska's free throw with 3:41 left in the second half providing the team with a 14-point lead, their largest of the afternoon. It would be a sizable enough cushion for MSU to stay on top, despite Rutgers going on a 9-1 run shortly after to cut the lead to six with 1:48 remaining. 

Jankoska led the Spartans in points with 21 while also grabbing eight rebounds. She was 2-of-7 from behind the three-point line but was 7-of-8 from the charity stripe, an area that proved to be detrimental during MSU's loss to the Terrapins. 

Along with Williams, Kendra Lumpkin, seniors Kendra Lumpkin, Kelsey Kuipers, Anna Morrissey and Becca Mills were honored after the weekend matinee.  

Sophomore forward Aerial Powers broke former WNBA standout Liz Shimek's single-season scoring record (597) at the 2:06 mark in the second half after converting a free throw. She finished the afternoon with a double-double, posting 18 points and 18 rebounds while shooting 28 percent from the floor. 

Share and discuss “Women's basketball upsets Rutgers 70-60” on social media.