Men's basketball looks to avenge last season's loss to Illinois Saturday

<p>Head coach Tom Izzo signals to his players while on the court Jan. 18, 2015, during the game against Michigan at Breslin Center. The Spartans defeated the Wolverines, 76-67. Erin Hampton/The State News</p>

Head coach Tom Izzo signals to his players while on the court Jan. 18, 2015, during the game against Michigan at Breslin Center. The Spartans defeated the Wolverines, 76-67. Erin Hampton/The State News

Photo by Erin Hampton | The State News

At 6-3 in Big Ten play, the men's basketball team is in the midst of a crucial stretch with the Big Ten Tournament just a month away. Saturday's game against Illinois (15-8 overall, 5-5 Big Ten) could serve as another measuring stick for MSU. 

Men's basketball head coach Tom Izzo anticipates a tough matchup against the Fighting Illini, who could return senior guard Rayvonte Rice and junior guard Aaron Cosby to the lineup. Rice, who leads the team in points per game (17.2) and rebounds per game (6.9), has missed the previous eight games due to a broken left hand. Cosby, a key rotation player, is averaging 7.8 points and 3.6 rebounds.

"Those that don't know Illinois, not only did they beat us here last year but they're a way better team than they were a year ago," Izzo said during his weekly press conference Thursday. "Hard to say what it'll do, getting guys back whether they're coming back. Everything's a big secret so who knows what to be aware of. All I know is they're 5-3 in (Big Ten play) without Rice and he is a good player."

Illinois could pose a threat in other ways as well. Similar to Maryland, they have a number of athletic guards who could give the Spartans trouble on the wing. They are also the best free throw shooting team in the Big Ten, shooting 79.7 percent. 

MSU would be better served taking care of business early in this game, because if it becomes a free throw battle, MSU's last-place 63.1 percentage from the line could costly. 

The Spartans can counter by playing to their strengths, which include shooting the ball from the arc (2nd, 39.3 percent) and crashing the boards (40.6 per game).

"For us, shoot the ball a little better, shoot it from the line a little better, continue to get better defensively, keep our rebounding where it's at and get our fast break going more and more and more," Izzo said. "So I think this week will be a octane game."

MSU took two days off this week for rest, which could benefit senior guard Travis Trice who is recovering from a rib injury. 

Share and discuss “Men's basketball looks to avenge last season's loss to Illinois Saturday” on social media.