Ice hockey defeats No. 14 Minnesota 4-2

After blowing a 3-0 lead Friday night, MSU hockey (14-14-2, 8-6-2-2 Big Ten) responded in convincing fashion by beating No. 14 Minnesota 4-2 on Saturday night. The Gophers (18-12-3, 9-5-3-0 Big Ten) are tied with UM for first place in the conference, while MSU remains just two points behind.

Junior defenseman John Draeger and junior forward Ryan Keller scored a pair of second period goals for the Spartans. Junior captain Michael Ferrantino scored a pivotal goal in the third period to make it 3-1, and sophomore forward Thomas Ebbing capped off the game in the final minute.

Junior goaltender Jake Hildebrand made 22 saves for his 14th victory of the season. Hildebrand has allowed two or fewer goals in 11 of his last 14 appearances.

Following a relatively uneventful first period that saw MSU outshout the Gophers 14-7, the Minnesota native Draeger put the Spartans on the board 44 seconds into the second period.

Draeger jumped up in the offensive zone and sophomore defenseman Rhett Holland saw him the whole way. Holland fired a pass toward the crease where Draeger took it, spun around, and slipped a backhand shot between the pads of Gopher goaltender Adam Wilcox.

It didn’t take long for Minnesota to respond. Kyle Rau scored for the Gophers 4:09 into the period. After two unbelievable saves by Hildebrand, Rau battled in the crease and poked the puck into the net as Hildebrand scrambled to get back in position.

After the Spartans killed a penalty against the nation’s most efficient power play, Keller scored with just 1:18 remaining in the second period.

Senior defenseman Ron Boyd let a shot go from the blue line and Keller out worked two Gophers to get the rebound and flex off a wrist shot. While it looked like Wilcox initially made the save, a last second adjustment of his arm allowed the puck to trickle into the back of the net.

Ferrantino extended the Spartans lead to 3-1 7:04 into the final period. Ferrantino drove hard to the net as Keller let a wrist shot go that created a big rebound off Wilcox’s pads, and the captain was able to fight a shot into the right side of the net.

The goal was Ferrantino’s 10th of the year. The forward line of Ferrantino, Keller and sophomore forward Joe Cox combined for 10 points on the weekend.

Following a Minnesota power play goal with 4:24 left in the game to make it 3-2, the Gophers’ Hudson Fasching took a roughing penalty with 1:52 remaining.

Ebbing's power play goal sealed the Spartans’ victory with just 37 seconds left in the game.The Spartans outshot the Gophers 34-24. 

Share and discuss “Ice hockey defeats No. 14 Minnesota 4-2” on social media.