Men's golf looks to build off successful 2014

MSU Men’s Golf will travel to Hammock Beach Resort in Palm Coast, Florida for their first match of 2015, the Big Ten Match Play Championship this weekend.

Men’s Golf closed out 2014 by finishing in third place at the Quail Valley Intercollegiate in Vero Beach, Florida last October, and hope to continue their ascent up the ranks at the upcoming Big Ten Match.

Two Spartans were listed on the Big Ten Men's Golfer to Watch List for the 2014-15 season, including junior Mitch Rutledge, who finished tied for seventh at the 2014 Big Ten Championship.

Rutledge posted a season average of 74.62, owns the sixth lowest 18-hole (66) and 20th lowest 54-hole (210) scores in program history.

Also on the list was sophomore Charlie Netzel, who had his best score of the season at the Wolverine Intercollegiate, with a 214. He also took home medalist honors at the Colleton River Collegiate, when he had a season low of 67 and posted a 75.62 scoring average.

Both Spartans were the only two on the team to compete in all 12 events of the 2013-14 season.

In September, the Spartans continued their success at the Fighting Irish Gridiron Classic, and captured the team title once again. MSU is the first team to win the title three times. Their previous wins include 2007 and 2012.

MSU had a strong start, and placed in third on the first day of the Notre Dame-hosted event, shooting a strong four over 288. By the third day of the event, MSU had it’s lowest three-round score of the season, carding a team total of 863.

Looking forward, head coach Casey Lubahn announced that Glenn Piot Jr. will join the Spartans for the 2015-16 season.

Piot, currently a senior at Detroit Catholic Central High School, lead the Shamrocks to three top-six finishes in Division 1 at the Michigan High School Athletic Association finals.

"We are extremely proud to welcome Glenn to our program," said Lubahn. "His tenacity, determination, and toughness excited us right from the start. He's the type of young man who can significantly impact our program on the course and in the classroom from his first day on campus."

Share and discuss “Men's golf looks to build off successful 2014” on social media.