Free throw issues haunt women's basketball in loss to No. 5 Maryland

<p>Senior guard Anna Morrissey attempts a 3-pointer guarded by Maryland guard Laurin Mincy Feb. 16, 2015, during the Play4Kay Breast Cancer Awareness game against Maryland at Breslin Center. The Spartans were defeated by the Terrapins, 75-69. Hannah Levy/The State News</p>

Senior guard Anna Morrissey attempts a 3-pointer guarded by Maryland guard Laurin Mincy Feb. 16, 2015, during the Play4Kay Breast Cancer Awareness game against Maryland at Breslin Center. The Spartans were defeated by the Terrapins, 75-69. Hannah Levy/The State News

Photo by Hannah Levy | The State News

It’s not just the men’s team who has let a victory slip out of their hands thanks to a dreadful performance at the free-throw line.

Faced with the endeavor of knocking off the No. 5 program in the country, and in front of the home crowd at Breslin Center, the women’s team would almost find a way to pull off the improbable upset Monday during their second battle with the Maryland Terrapins this season, but in the end they lost 75-69.

Lead changes, momentum swings and battles through adversity resulted in the Spartans nearly clinching their first victory against a ranked opponent since Dec. 21 against Syracuse.

Head coach Suzy Merchant said the 11 missed shots while shooting 39 percent from the charity stripe cost the Spartans the upset over Maryland. MSU was also out-rebounded 28-15 on the defensive side of the glass, picking up a mere 32 in total. “You can’t shoot 39 percent from the free-throw line and leave 11 points against the fifth-ranked team in the country and think you’re going to win the game,” Merchant said. “You’ve got to step up there and knock them down. There were some good things. That’s a team that’s very talented obviously.”

Finishing 7-of-18 from the line, failing to drain multiple uncontested baskets left the Spartans shaking their heads, thinking what could have been.

The crucial moment during Monday’s loss was at the 57-second mark in the second half when freshman Lexi Gussert stood alone, with MSU down by seven. After Shatori Walker-Kimbrough got called for a technical, Gussert stepped to the line in hopes knocking down two crucial free throws.

But the shots would hit the rim, and ultimately be the decide the fate of the game. A missed opportunity for a team who desperately needed a quality win before heading into the Big Ten tournament.

Aerial Powers, the sophomore froward, led the team in missed free throws (six) while only converting one, resulting in her game-high 18-points. Sophomore Tori Jankoska, finishing 6-of-8 from the line, recorded the final two points with six seconds left on the clock after being fouled by Maryland’s Brionna Jones.

“I missed six myself and I don’t even know how, not even a free throw shooter,” Powers said after the game. “I haven’t been lately, but I just have to work on it I guess.”

Share and discuss “Free throw issues haunt women's basketball in loss to No. 5 Maryland” on social media.