Liquor store displays fake IDs to deter underage drinking

<p>The Wall of Fake ID's February 11, 2015, at the east branch of the Big Ten Party Stores, 1108 E. Grand River Ave, East Lansing. Kennedy Thatch/The State News</p>

The Wall of Fake ID's February 11, 2015, at the east branch of the Big Ten Party Stores, 1108 E. Grand River Ave, East Lansing. Kennedy Thatch/The State News

Photo by Kennedy Thatch | The State News

This is a common response many freshmen or sophomores hear from their elder junior or senior when inquiring if they should try their fake ID at the conveniently located East branch of Big Ten Party Stores.

The store is located on Grand River Avenue, and anyone considering using their fake might change their mind with a look inside.

Taking just one glance inside Big Ten East provides a very profound red flag for any illegal buyers. Specifically, the combined space above and behind the cash register.

The wall is covered to capacity with fake IDs, which has elevated the store’s popularity to the point where it is known as one of the most difficult stores to use one at.

Store manager Rick Squires said this was the original intent for making the wall.

He said the wall was made to serve “as a deterrent, to let people know we took (fake IDs) seriously.”

The wall itself is nothing new — Squires estimated that it originated in 1992 or 1993. With around 550 IDs spanning the wall today, adjustments had to be made early on.

“We used to keep (the IDs) on the counter under Plexiglas, but we ran out of room, so (the wall) was the next biggest spot that we could put them,” he said.

The wall boasts a wide array of selections from students and visitors from around the country. In fact, it has become something of a collection.

“We’re missing three (states),” Squires said.

Squires said he has learned what to look for when it comes to preventing underage sales, and he has his own recipe for success with it.

“Over the years, you know what to look for,” he said. “You just have to stay on top of it.”

The IDs aren’t just for show. They also serve as an important teaching process.

“We keep a lot of the new ones out now for training, training new employees what to look for,” Squires said.

East Lansing resident and MSU alumnus Matthew Christmas said, “I think it would keep students from coming in with fake IDs.”

However, despite their aggressive measures to try to prevent students from even attempting to use fake IDs there, cashier Norman Stewart noted that this year has been particularly bad.

“It goes by year. Last year we had a decent amount,” Stewart said. “This year has been a huge explosion, we’ve had a ton this year. We take roughly 80 per year, we’ve already surpassed that.”

Share and discuss “Liquor store displays fake IDs to deter underage drinking” on social media.