MSU baseball prepares for matchup with UCLA

This weekend the Spartan Baseball team is heading to the sunny coast of California to face off againist No. 11 UCLA for a three game matchup. 

Last weekend UCLA went 2-1 facing off against No. 17 North Carolina in a series of high scoring games with Sunday's matchup ending in a 12-4 rout. They recorded sixteen hits with the bulk of those hits coming from four players whom also knocked in seven RBI. The star of the game was junior shortshop Kevin Kramer who went (4-for-5) and set a career high for hits in the process. 

The Spartans also went 1-2 last weekend facing off against Houston Baptist, UT Arlington, and Southeastern Louisiana. The Spartans dropped back-to-back games then picked up a win in a rout of Southeastern Louisiana. 

Friday and Saturday's game were both pitcher duels with both scores being 3-1 in favor of the opposing teams. The Spartans just couldn't get their bats going to secure a win. 

Sunday's game however was a totally different story with the bats coming alive and putting runs all over the board. The offensive explosion was led by Freshmen Zack Mcguire and Chad Roskelly who combined for 6-for-8 with four RBI. 

The Spartans trailed early in the game when Louisiana scored in the top of the second, but from there it was all Spartans. Mcguire hit his first collegiate home run as well in the bottom of the inning, tying the game. The Spartans next scored on Mark Weist's single that brought Roskelly home and they never looked back.

The pitching continued to be strong for the Spartans with junior Anthony Misiewicz only giving up one run through five innings with seven strikeouts. The win Sunday pushed the Spartans to 3-3 on the year. 

With UCLA standing at a 6-1 record the Spartans will be heading to California looking to improve their own 3-3 record. 

Share and discuss “MSU baseball prepares for matchup with UCLA” on social media.