Affordable ways to be warm but stylish in a Michigan winter

The bitter winter weather has been in the negatives on its worst days. To keep students warm, it calls for the most durable outfits to fight the cold as they trudge to and from class.

But with college students whose lives are centered around a budget, the rising prices for quality gear such as coats, sweaters and accessories has too often crippled students’ bank accounts. Several local stores have found a way to lower prices and keep students and East Lansing residents warm throughout the winter.

501 E. Grand River Avenue

Campus Corner is well-known in the city for its apparel centered around Spartan pride. Layer up and stay warm with clothing sporting the MSU Spartan logo. Shivering shoppers can pick up two long sleeve t-shirts for a total of $20.

The price of hooded sweatshirts has been lowered to about $18. Crewneck sweatshirts have been lowered to $12. Shoppers can also pick up a pair of gloves, either black or Spartan green, for about $9.

225 E. Grand River Avenue

East Lansing Threads is lowering their prices for the winter season as well. Winter wear including coats, jackets, vests, scarves and select sweaters are all marked down.

Specific well-made sweaters of unique design have prices lowered to near or below $50. Shoppers can pick up anything on the color spectrum from blues to yellows. Many of the colorful sweaters end below the waist and are made of soft knits and wools.

“We get students looking for better quality,” said store clerk Corey Quinn.

Other clothing options have a Greek life appeal to them and many of the T-shirts and hats include slogans or symbols from fraternities and sororities.

The store has an inventory from clothing companies such as Southern Marsh and Splendid.

619 E. Grand River Avenue

La Bodega is a family-owned business centered around fair trade items that will definitely give a great deal. La Bodega manager Kayla Holcomb said the campus-oriented shop enjoys having students browse through the items in their store.

Holcomb said the store is selling their wool hats for lowered price. The hats were made in Nepal and are spread across a table in the store. While they are normally priced at about $15, the hats have all been marked down to create room so they can select new styles for next year.

Infinity scarves are also available at the store and can be purchased for about $15.

“We are very dependent on student business,” Holcomb said. “We get really excited when students come back from break. It’s definitely more upbeat.”

Share and discuss “Affordable ways to be warm but stylish in a Michigan winter” on social media.