Mel Kiper Jr. has Trae Waynes going 16 in latest mock draft

<p>Junior cornerback Trae Waynes reacts to a Michigan incomplete pass during the game against Michigan on Oct. 25, 2014, at Spartan Stadium. The Spartans defeated the Wolverines, 35-11. Jessalyn Tamez/The State News </p>

Junior cornerback Trae Waynes reacts to a Michigan incomplete pass during the game against Michigan on Oct. 25, 2014, at Spartan Stadium. The Spartans defeated the Wolverines, 35-11. Jessalyn Tamez/The State News

Photo by Jessalyn Tamez | The State News

Based on the current projections by ESPN's NFL draft analyst, Mel Kiper Jr., Trae Waynes will begin his professional football career by teaming up with former MSU standouts, Max Bullough and Keshawn Martin. 

As the first cornerback predicted to be taken off the board, Waynes will be selected at No. 16 overall by the Houston Texans, who according to Kiper, can acquire depth in the secondary to help out with JJ Watt and the front seven. 

"Waynes will grade out as the best cover corner in the draft for many teams, and he also offers something pretty much everybody covets at the position, which is length," Kiper wrote on ESPN.com on Thursday morning. "Waynes is also a good zone defender, and while he's lean, he is above average in run support. He has good ball skills and really does a good job of tracking the ball. He's a player who can help turn what should be a really good defensive line's pressure into more turnovers.“

Earning third-team All-America honors by the Associated Press and Sports Illustrated as a junior, Waynes was ranked second on the team win pass breakups (seven) and interceptions (three). He also finished sixth on the team in tackles (43). 

Other Big Ten marquee players that Kiper has taken in the first round include Nebraska defensive end Randy Gregory (No. 5 to the Redskins), Iowa offensive tackle Brandon Scherff (No. 9 to the Giants), Wisconsin running back Melvin Gordon (No. 24 to the Cardinals), Michigan wide receiver Devin Funchess (No. 26 to the Ravens) and Ohio State wide receiver Devin Smith (No. 32 to the Seahawks).

Share and discuss “Mel Kiper Jr. has Trae Waynes going 16 in latest mock draft” on social media.